Xmess blank screen & cannot find Sega bios [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightcycle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Xmess blank screen & cannot find Sega bios [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm trying to play some emulated Sega Master System, but not everything works. I've tried Mastergear, which seems to work fine, but as far as I can tell only emulates one controller, whereas I need two. I therefore decided to try out Xmess. It loads many games OK, but some games don't work, after the info text from Xmess I just get a black screen. Examples of games not working are Shinobi, Zillion II and Miracle Warriors. While testing games in Mastergear I noticed that the sound of those games is different depending on whether -fm or -nofm is specified on the commandline. My theory is that Xmess has problems with games built to take advantage of the fm-chip included in some japanese versions of the Sega Master System. I thought I'd try emulating a japanese SMS by passing smsj21 as an option to Xmess, but then xmess complains:

Code:
info: trying to parse: /usr/share/games/xmess/xmessrc
info: trying to parse: /home/lightcycle/.xmess/xmessrc
info: trying to parse: /usr/share/games/xmess/xmess-SDLrc
info: trying to parse: /home/lightcycle/.xmess/xmess-SDLrc
info: trying to parse: /usr/share/games/xmess/rc/smsj21rc
info: trying to parse: /home/lightcycle/.xmess/rc/smsj21rc
loading rom 0: jbios21.rom
done
jbios21.rom  NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

It seems Xmess is trying to load the bios for a japanese SMS. I know I have a file with the correct bios, and I've tried placing it in the same directory as the roms, in /usr/share/xmess, /usr/share/xmess/bios, /usr/share/games/xmess, /usr/share/games/xmess/bios, /usr/share/xmess/bios/sms, /usr/share/games/xmess/bios/smsj21 and other locations but I still get the same error. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? Could it be the fm sound that is giving me a blank screen? And where should I put jbios21.rom for Xmess to find it?

Last edited by lightcycle on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
lightcycle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized it would be possible to run strace to find out where xmess looks for the file, and I found out that it looks for the file in ~/smsj21/ and ~/smsj21.zip. So after copying the file to ther right location the game starts. The question is still why I can't run those games with standard sound rather than emulate a fm-equipped Master System, but at least I can get all games to start now. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: