Weirdest bcm4400 problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Weirdest bcm4400 problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I am having a really strange problem with the bcm4400 network adapter driver. I recently bought an msi mother that comes with a bcm4400 network adapter onboard. I booted from the livecd 1.4rc3 and everything works fine (the adapter is detected and configured via dhcp). I installed gentoo-sources and later xfs-sources with the driver and load it at boot time but the network adapter won't work. I can bring it up and assign an ip address by hand, but it won't ping any of the other machines that are online (it can ping itself). Needless to say, I can't bring the adapter up via dhcp. I tried to use /proc/config to build the new kernel (xfs) and use acpi=off in the command line, like the livecd does, but I am lost on what to do next.
Anyone knows what to try?

(btw, I am using grub and an nvidia gforce4 mx440, that maybe bothering?)

Thanks
Julian
dma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new version 1.0.3 of the bcom4400 driver but it is in beta testing and only some people (like me) have it. I obtained it by contacting the author directly. I could send it to you if you want.

It fixes carrier errors and other stuff. I still have some latency issues though and it sometimes seems jittery.

I have saved the beta version of the driver at this location. Please keep in mind that this is a beta driver.

Also, you might want to get ethtool:

Code:

*  sys-apps/ethtool
      Latest version available: 1.7
      Latest version installed: 1.7
      Size of downloaded files: 70 kB
      Homepage:    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gkernel/
      Description: Utility for examining and tuning your ethernet-based network interface

It lets you set all sorts of neat stuff. tcpdump is also essential for easy network debugging.
jjares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the beta driver (I was actually trying to find it, since I've read somewhere that 1.0.1 wasn't the newest). Anyway, I fixed the problem. It seems my machine has an issue when Local APIC is active in the General Processor settings. I installed another network adopter and it didn't work either (an RTL8139 based). I unchecked Local APIC from my processor settings, and both network adapters started working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: