Can't Get Samba To Work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CodeSlacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Can't Get Samba To Work Reply with quote

I'm trying to setup Samba, and I'm just going by the Desktop Configuration Guide. The workgroup is correct and have encrypted passwords enabled in smb.conf. I've ran smbpasswd, but perhaps I'm using the incorrect username. Does the name need to be my username on the windows machine or the username on the gentoo machine? I guess it would make things easier if I had the same username on each computer. On the windows side, I used to be able to see the gentoo machine in the workgroup but couldn't connect to it. Now, I can't even view other computers in the workgroup. The windows error when I try to view other computers in the workgroup is

Quote:

'workgroup name' is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

On the gentoo side, when I start samba I get the error
Quote:

* Starting samba...
lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused [ok]

but the [ok] tells me that it was still able to start. Any thoughts? I haven't been able to find an answer to this, so I don't want any, "RTFM Dude!"

Thanks
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems to me that the error from the Windows side is indicating that somewhere in your samba config you specified your workgroup as "workgroup name" -- I'd run a search on that string to see where it shows up in your samba config for starters. I'm no genius with Samba I just set it up for the first time last night actually. I had a few problems but neither you are describing. The lpstat looks like printer related stuff. I dodged that bullet all together and just commented out the printing support out of the samba config. Again you can search for lpstat in your samba config to see where it appears and then figure out what it is supposed to do and whether you want to leave it on and fix it or just disable it (by commenting it out.) As for the user, it is the windows user name -- there does not have to be a user on the Linux box of the same name. For instance I setup a fake user named guest. Works fine for me using it that way.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Get Samba To Work Reply with quote

[quote="CodeSlacker"]
Quote:

'workgroup name' is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

On the gentoo side, when I start samba I get the error
Quote:

* Starting samba...
lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused [ok]

Samba uses its own encrypted password file not system one. Did you set new passwords with smbpasswd?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Get Samba To Work Reply with quote

CodeSlacker wrote:
I've ran smbpasswd, but perhaps I'm using the incorrect username.

Given this statement I would have assumed that smbpasswd was run antik.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Get Samba To Work Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
CodeSlacker wrote:
I've ran smbpasswd, but perhaps I'm using the incorrect username.

Given this statement I would have assumed that smbpasswd was run antik.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

I see, sorry I just tired when writing answer 2 hours after midnight. :roll:
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it Antik -- Miss details all the time!!! It is very hard to provide helpful suggestions on forums, especially at 2 hours after midnight!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Mord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Again you can search for lpstat in your samba config to see where it appears and then figure out what it is supposed to do and whether you want to leave it on and fix it or just disable it (by commenting it out.)

I use samba, but not cups.

So commenting out these two lines in smb.conf fixed that lpstat error message for me:

# printcap name = lpstat
# load printers = yes
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: