View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carnaby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Samsung ML 2010 Printer HELP! [SOLVED!] Reply with quote

I just got the ML-2010 printer which says it is supported in all sorts of linux flavors. Problem is, it doesn't work in Gentoo. It comes with a ppd file that does not work. When checking the job status after a job is run, they all say "aborted." The printer is not supported at linuxprinters.org either. I found a workaround, using the ML-4500 driver, but it doesn't get the margins right. There's a very crappy margin tool that you can also get, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Every time I think I've got it figured out, the output doesn't match the calculations they give.

Help!!!! Do I have to send this piece of junk back, or does someone know a better way? :( :( :?:

Last edited by carnaby on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming you have the latest cups and foomaticdb and you tried this driver:
Info:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Alps-MD-2010
download ppd here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=ppmtomd&printer=Alps-MD-2010&show=0
they have a forum for samsung here
http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums.cgi?group=linuxprinting.samsung.general

hope this helps
turtle
carnaby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I did not see that driver, thanks, I'll give it a try and post if it works.
carnaby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, except that's for an Alps color thermal printer ML-2010, and I have a BW Samsung ML-2010. Not the same printer.

Still stuck, then. :(
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks loke others are having this problem too.
That was weird I was at the linuxprinting.org and when i selected Samsung it gave me alps sorry about that.
Note you need to refresh the page to serch different printers ;)

I assume you did similar to this:
Quote:
Samsung ML-2010

Drivers for Linux are available on Samsung's web site. The installation was done on Mandriva 2005LE.

* Download the driver and untar it
* # su
* # cd "path_to_untared_archive"/image
* # ./setup.sh
* Follow the instructions to install the driver files
* # linux-config
* Follow the instructions to configure the printer

The printer will then be accessible through CUPS (and to the Mandriva's configurations tools).

NOTE: CUPS has to be installed BEFORE the installation of Samsung's driver.

We could get creative and edit a ppd file it seems like people are recomending it
Quote:
ML-2150 with PostScript 3 module.

Currently Samsung supports this printer with proprietary drivers which come with the printer on its driver CD or can be downloaded on the web sites of Samsung. Unfortunately, these drivers do not work necessarily with all Linux distributions. You will therefore probably get it more easily working by simply using it as a standard PostScript printer with the PPD file from its driver CD.

User Notes

Note that you have to edit the ppd supplied by Samsung to get
cups to accept it.

Specifically, ML-2150ps.ppd, line 79: change Pickone to PickOne
line 31: Put brackets around the product name.

Having done that, then all the printer configuration options for
the postscript level 3 mode work. You can test the ppd with
the cupstestppd program.

That is not your printer but maby somthing similar might work?
carnaby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fiddling around with the ppd files with no luck. The "generic gdi" pdd works sorta, but my margins still suck. It prints too high and too far to the left. I tried changing the lines in the generic gdi ppd file to the values in the samsung provided ppd for the 2010, but nothing changed. Argh.

thanks for the help, hopefully I can figure this out without having to print 100 more test pages. :?
carnaby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Bueller? Reply with quote

Any other ideas? How do you get the dang margins in the right place?
DELLfan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Try Samsung's driver Reply with quote

It looks like your printer is an SPL printer (Samsung Printer Language) and therefore has to use the Samsung drivers. I have an ML-2250, and although it "officially" supports PCL, I've only gotten it to work with the Samsung drivers. The bad news is, you'll need to install the drivers off the CD. The good news is, at least in the case of the 2250, the installation works smoothly, and you get an "Other" menu in Gnome with a Configuration Tool, Linux LPR, and Linux Uninstall. Samsung's installation basically replaces your standard LPR with their own, but it still works with other printers just the same as ever. In the case of the 2250 I've found that the drivers on Samsung's site are lacking a few options that are included on the CD drivers, so I would recommend installing off the CD if you still have it.

You will have to use the Configuration Tool (as root) to install the printer initially, but after that you can use CUPS, the Gnome Printers interface, or whatever else you want to change printer settings. Once it's printing, it works flawlessly. One note: envelope printing in OpenOffice.org 1.x is a real problem. Use OOo 2.0 and try changing your envelope settings to tell it that the printer prints the envelope face-up on the far right. That made my envelopes print perfectly, with no futzing around with other settings. You will definitely want to go into CUPS or somewhere and change the paper type (not size) to Envelope before you actually hit print; OOo sends the envelope size along just fine.
carnaby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

That did it, thanks! :D

It seems I just needed to install the lpr utility and not the cups printer utility from the cdrom. Yeah! :!:
revelater
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the install script doesn't seem to work running amd64, and the ppd doesn't even see the printer, some of the other ppds will make the printer respond, but it won't actually print anything. anyone have any answers?
bakavic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting the some error message about "bad interpreter" when you try using the install script? The script seems to work only if it is on the your harddisk, for some weird reason. Copying all the files to a temp directory on your computer, and running it from there seems to work.

You should also not run the script as root. The script will ask you for the root password later. Running it as root will cause it to try displaying an X window, and subsequently fail.

I believe that amd64 should work fine, as I saw some an amd_x64 directory somewhere on the cd. Using the ppd files on the cd doesn't seem to work as the printer isn't using postscript, but it's own language (SPL), which require samsung's drivers.
updatelee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an x86_64 dir, to bad its empty :(

Id return this printer if I could find a another to replace it with, the HP-1020/22 seem to have their own problems as well.

I got it to print using the gdi driver sujested in another thread, but Im not getting any of the extras like tonersave etc.
bakavic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh...Samsung should really have just given us working PPDs, which would be able to work anywhere...

For tonersave, you can enable it on the printer itself by pressing and holding the button for 2 secs (not longer, or it'll print a test page). The toner save LED should come on. The feature you'll probably be missing would be the ability to print images at 1200x600 dpi - the printer will probably be stuck in 600x600 mode.
updatelee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tip on the toner saver, thanks. the manual is kinda vague, sais press the button, so I pressed it ... nothing, so I held it ... test page, never tried something in the middle, you gota hold it for just under 2sec and bam toner saver :) thanks.

yup 600x600, no 1200x600 :(
jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, thank you for the info on the toner save option! I tried the same thing as updatelee...

Now, I'll also mention that I have been using the ML-210 drivers that you can get with cups, which has worked out for me and is no hassle at all. The only thing is that it prints about a quarter inch to high, but that is easy enough to just compensate for in ooo. I'll still try to get the real drivers working though, just for the fun/learning of tinkering.
DigitoErgoSum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehm, i got a problem: i've installed ML-2010 on my router that doesn't have gtk and X installed so i can't run setup script...
Any suggestion ???
kf0yn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Samsung ML-2010 without the Samsung proprietary drivers, simply by using the PPD file for the ML-1710. The only complaint I have is that the page alignment isn't quite right, but I haven't been motivated enough to try to fix it yet.
Isaiah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Success! Reply with quote

carnaby wrote:
That did it, thanks! :D

It seems I just needed to install the lpr utility and not the cups printer utility from the cdrom. Yeah! :!:

Ditto dat - just took the default install myself :D
BeteNoire
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kf0yn wrote:
I'm using a Samsung ML-2010 without the Samsung proprietary drivers, simply by using the PPD file for the ML-1710. The only complaint I have is that the page alignment isn't quite right, but I haven't been motivated enough to try to fix it yet.

I've got Samsung ML-2010 P.
Did you do any special configuration? I'm unable to print with ML-1710.
What works for me is Unified Linux Driver but I'd like some better solution based on portage software.