View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Hostel Reply with quote

Anyone catch this movie yet? Pretty interesting movie though I wonder what true events its based on...anyone know?
opqdan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a movie says that it is based on a "true story," it is normally being very very liberal with the use of the world true.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, and Silence of the Lambs were all at least semi-based on the life of Ed Gein, from Planesfield Wisconsin**. Obviously none of those movies has really any plot points at all in common with the others (you could make an argument for leatherface->hannibal wearing the guards face->Norman Bates dressing like his mother). As far as I know, there are no rules for saying that your movie or book is "based off of a true story" so you can pretty much do whatever you want.

I have not seen the movie yet, but I think that I would like to eventually. I'll probably wait 6 months and get it through netflix. It just seems that it will be too much like the Saw movies. The previews looked neat and I liked the music, but previews mean nothing nowadays.

**: http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gein/bill_1.html
servo888
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it the night it came out... Now I'm not a big fan of horror movies... And this movie confirmed that. It's wasn't bad... As much as I swear I've seen many parts of that movie in other movies... Uh in general nothing 'scarry' just some 'gotcha' scenes that may make you jump up. But the movie isn't scarry as much as it's goery. I don't know - wasn't much of a horror moview IMHO. But it was alot better than texas chain saw.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it the night it came out, and I usually go to horror movies to laugh at the horrible acting and ridiculous plot twists. In that area Hostel didn't disappoint me. However, I read a lot of the hype behind the movie, and as such was expecting it to finally change my mind about horror movies. With that in mind the movie was a huge disappointment.

On the plus side there were more scenes of good old fashioned fucking than there were of gore, so I wasn't totally disappointed :wink:
Tamsco
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quentin Tarantino and Eli North were on Jimmy Kimmel. They were saying that the idea for the movie came from something they saw advertised in Thailand. They never checked it out to see if it was legitimate but they got the movie idea from it.

I'll pass on it, looks kinda stupid IMHO. It was funny because Quentin was saying he thought this wasa just going to be a cult film for real horror nuts (which is why they made it so cheaply) and was amazed it was getting this much press. It's kinda funny that Quentin has gotten to the point were he can sit upon his throne and whimsically say "Make me a movie"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: