Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modal wrote:
Quote:
If you're using modules, remember that the modutils package no longer works with the 2.5 kernels. To be able to use modules, you need to install the module-init-tools package (yes, it's masked). If you don't do this all modules will fail to load.

I've been wondering why I can never get any modules to work with development-sources...i'm an idiot...yeah!

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge module-init-tools (or something like that) is needed because the module loader interface has been replaced in 2.5... I don't really like modules, so I don't compile much in as modules anymore (I wish everything was modules, but the idea put forth by Alan to make a ramdisk with all modules in it was discarded, making hard compiled stuff a thing of the past - The current model doesn't really work for me all that well)

There has been a lot of module breakage over the interface change, and the stuff Ben did regarding AIO (asyncronous IO). But thing seems to have settled down now
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, has anyone else been having clock scew problems under 2.5.65? I left my computer on all day and it was 2 hours fast when I got home.
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klimg wrote:
Doesn't mount reiser and xfree doesn't work neither does the sis900 eth.Framebuffersupport for sis fails to compile.Looks like this is going to be a little project. 8O

Humm... Evidently XFree works for other people, so I might just be lucky. But if ReiserFS v3 is broken, I can't mount my root fs. Ah well. Can't know without experimenting.
cpwins
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulisdead wrote:
Just wondering, has anyone else been having clock scew problems under 2.5.65? I left my computer on all day and it was 2 hours fast when I got home.

I'm using 2.5.64 with the ingo-linus-patch. My clock was off by 2 or 3 hours also (if i remember correctly, it was 2 hours EXACTLY). Maybe there is some hassle with the timezones or something. Also I must point out that the ntpd (the "time" daemon) was running, so it might also be related to that.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulisdead wrote:

ntp... it's rocking
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5.65-mm2 is out.

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0303.2/0688.html

mostly fixes, but should now work with iptables again... also AS updates (yay).
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it still cause mplayer movies to halt after awhile? And was it in mm1 or mm2 the cpu starvation in the lingo interactivity patch was fixed? That patch alone I'd like to get my hands on if possible.

They seem to have focused too much with xine as test example (andrew morton apparently use it) so mplayer now frameskips for some reason, but Totem doesn't work with NPTL so I'm kinda stuck with mplayer until the kernel or mplayer are fixed or someone tell me how to fix (.64 had no problems).
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
paulisdead wrote:

ntp... it's rocking

Here's a good how-to for setting up ntp courtesy of our very own forums.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
LWM2 is in (as I recall), but Linus and Alan didn't like EVMS so that is being rewritten to use the md and lwm interface so to work with 2.5, but it will not appear in the 2.5 kernel (nor in 2.6) - if it was to go in it would have to wait untill kernel 2.7.

www.kernelnewbies.org has a status list of all major changes in the kernel and when they have been included, or when they are scheduled to go in (some are pre 2.6 some are post 2.6).
You're right; thanks. Actually I found this link to be really helpful; it's about what you can expect from a 2.5.x kernel, and is up to date (as of 2.5.65). It looks like LVM2, which is backwards compatible with LVM1's format, is in, so I'll give the 2.5 series a shot once I convert my volumes.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got most of my problems ironed out, but one I cant fix is that my NIC wont ping anything apart from itself, eth0 comes up fine I just cant reach anything. I have a tulip based card
Code:
00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)

in the kernel config I said Y to "DECchip Tulip (dc2114x) PCI support"
I also tried the "Generic DECchip & DIGITAL EtherWORK PCI/EISA" but that failed with my card. So I have selected the correct option but its borked somewhere... 8O ifconfig output looks fine also.

Any ideas anyone?
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about your ethernet problem, but I am also have some problems with my network card. The via-rhine module won't compile at all and complains about unresolved symbols.

Does anyone know what I should do to solve this? I really want to try a development kernel. I emerged the straight 2.5.65 development kernel.
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I managed to get 2.5 running. It took some figuring out to get EVMS to work under 2.5 (my root filesystem is under EVMS, so I need an initrd image for volume discovery). However...

- my root filesystem, which is ReiserFS v3, wouldn't mount read-write. Both /proc/mounts and /etc/mtab claimed it was mounted read-write, and IIRC trying to remount it resulted in a message telling that / wasn't mounted.
- iptables-load didn't appear to work
- startx didn't do a thing (I didn't check whether it went into an infinite loop or something else, though)
- and a great many other things were broken... something about the RTC device, something about something or something other, etc...

So... I think I'll wait a couple of months for things to get fixed before I try a 2.5 kernel again :).
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using lvm2 with 2.5.64 right now (and just compiling 2.5.65-mm1 :)

you need the lvm2 and device-mapper tools from the lvm main site (sinista?). Both are aviable as anon-cvs and they work fine here. only the gentoo-init scripts need some love bc they check for /proc/lvm which does not exsist anymore in the 2.5 kernels ...
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the error "ds: no socket drivers loaded!" in my dmesg output, I'm pretty sure its the cause of my problem, but google doesnt offer any solutions :(
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No socket drivers loaded? IANA kernel developer, but the first thing I'd look at is Networking support -> Networking options -> TCP/IP Networking.
narensankar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought to document some stuff to get vmware running. Vmware out of the box will not work on 2.5.65. The reason for this is twofold-

1. modversions.h is no longer supported nor is needed. So you should untar vmmon.tar and vmnet.tar in the /opt/vmware/lib/modules/source directory, and in the source files remove all references to modversions.h or better yet condition these with the kernel version.

2. The socket structure has changed in 2.5.65. So in order to build vmnet, edit bridge.c in the vmnet-only directory and at line 619, change the code from

bridge->sk->dead = 1;

to

bridge->sk->flags |= SOCK_DEAD;

These changes are for vmware workstations 3.2 only.
The best way to make these changes is to change the files in the vmmon-only and vmnet-only directory and then create new tar files vmmon.tar and vmnet.tar and then use the config script to build these. That way you can keep up with newer kernels.
With this vmware works and runs fast. The performance is much better, I believe because of the new scheduler patches.

A big problem with these changes is that they change vmware such that they it will no longer work with version 2.4.xx of the kernel, as well as older 2.5 kernels i.e. before 2.5.65. So keep copies of the old binary builds of the modules just in case or condition the changes with the kernel versions.

Hope this helps someone.

Naren Sankar
azote
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having that problem with vmware ....!

thank you narensankar ill give it a try!

What do you want to emerge today?

if you think that a person is normal, it is because you do not know them well
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aswell as my net problem, i cant get X to behave.
I installed module-init-tools, remerged the nvidia drivers, ran modprobe nvidia (It doesnt give the tainted warning btw, not sure if this means anything) and then ran opengl-update nvidia. startx loads, the screen goes black and I get a corrupt yellow fuzzy scratches at the bottom of the screen - the system also hard locks.

I'm using 2.5.65-mm2 btw - I dont think I missed anything... :?
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed it and it seemed to work fine except it has not dri. I haven't tried to much since I barely got dri working in 2.4.20. I have a radeon compiled as a module.

glxinfo gives
Code:
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
GLX extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x23 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x24 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
0x25 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x26 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None

lsmod gives:
Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                107096  0
agpgart                15400  0

This isn't a big deal but if anyone had this problem or knows what could be causing it.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
Jeff Binder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
aswell as my net problem, i cant get X to behave.
I installed module-init-tools, remerged the nvidia drivers, ran modprobe nvidia (It doesnt give the tainted warning btw, not sure if this means anything) and then ran opengl-update nvidia. startx loads, the screen goes black and I get a corrupt yellow fuzzy scratches at the bottom of the screen - the system also hard locks.

I'm using 2.5.65-mm2 btw - I dont think I missed anything... :?

What kind of processor do you have? If you have an AMD processor, and you're using the mem=nopentium kernel parameter, you need to upgrade to Xfree 4.3. I have such a system, and Xfree 4.2.1 wouldn't start with nopentium. I've heard of other people having the same problem, as well.
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited for the 2.6 kernel to be released, 2.5.65 has been good to me so far. It is soooo f*ing fast. I really had no clue. They should have a song released along with 2.6, just like OpenBSD does.
weijia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few issues with the 2.5 kernels which have prevented me from using them. I was hoping that someone here could help me with these before I give the new kernel another shot. The main issue is with the pcmcia-cs and hotplug packages:

The pcmcia-cs package appears to be compatible with the 2.5 kernel in the documentation. However, whenever I try to compile it while running the 2.5 kernel it would always give me an error message. I don't have the message handy, but I was wondering if anyone has had success with the pcmcia-cs package and the new 2.5 kernels.

The hotplug package seems to simply not be compatible with the 2.5 kernels. Supposedly the new kernel has a completely new kernel loading system...and hotplug does not seem to be compatible with it. I use hotplug mainly for USB devices. Does anyone know how to get hotplug working (or whether this package is even needed), and how USB hotplugging should be set up in this new kernel? Thanks

Weijia
heijs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get random crashes (big kernel OOPSes), but most of the time, it works perfectly for me, and fast!

Ussually something X related causes the crashing (e.g. emacs)... I don't know why...
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

I've just upgraded from 2.5.64-ingo-linus.patch to 2.5.65, and I should tell you, it's absolutely beautiful! Everything that I use works well, and dragging windows under KDE has finally improved to Windoze-comparable performance! :twisted:
cpwins
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome! Reply with quote

daen1543 wrote:
I've just upgraded from 2.5.64-ingo-linus.patch to 2.5.65, and I should tell you, it's absolutely beautiful! Everything that I use works well, and dragging windows under KDE has finally improved to Windoze-comparable performance! :twisted:

Errrr, doesn't the 2.5.64-ingo-linus.patch have the same performance as 2.5.65? They have the same timeslices, scheduler, etc. Or do you mean that the better performance you experience is in comparison to a 2.4.* kernel? :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: