Acer Travelmate 270
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techiem2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Acer Travelmate 270 Reply with quote

I'm currently running Suse 8.1 on my Acer TravelMate 270 but am considering switching over to gentoo during term break (i.e. this weekend and next week). But first I have a few questions:

1. Will VMware 3 run? I saw a post about emerge vmware and am assuming yes, but want to be sure. I need it for school. (stupid winders software).

2. Not having actually used gentoo on anything yet (it's currently compiling on my testbed system), is it relatively easy to change IP address, Gateway, Proxy settings, etc. back and forth for two locations? I have one set of settings for home, another for school. (The profiles feature of Suse is really nice.)

3. Is there a pcmcia package and NIC drivers package available/or do the sources compile for the NIC drivers and PCMICAa support for a Orinoco gold card to use with kismet? I need to use it.

4. Is the wireless NIC relatively easy to setup for normal use? ( I haven't gotten the wireless hooked up to the school lan in Suse yet as I haven't had the time to figure out the settings).
Thanks all.

TechieM2
techiem2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Answers Reply with quote

Ok. I think I've answered my own questions.
VMware runs fine.
I think lan settings will be easy enough to change. I may make a couple shell scripts to make it easy.
The PCMCIA-CS is already patched for the Orinoco drivers.
I figured out how to get wireless up. Though haven't tested yet as I'm on break and don't have an AP at home yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: