Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Multi-boot OS X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzalisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Multi-boot OS X Reply with quote

I thought you guys might know, is it possible to dual boot multiple copies of OS X on the same machine?

Mainly I want to try this so that I can run one copy with portage, and one copy without.
Cenrim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a way, to install portage in a chroot-enviroment, so it wouldn't screw your OSX
hmm.. make that a "shouldn't" ;)
Howto Panther(/Tiger) chroot

if you still want multiple installations of OS X, I'm not sure what yaboot would say to 2 macosx entrys..
of cause, you should have a linux to install yaboot ^^
(well, a liveCD should do it and maybe it's possible to start a OS X listet as Darwin)
in the other way, you can change the boot medium in OSX (but this would disable an yaboot-installation until the next ybin)

if it's only the fact of making 2 installations, well, OS X.3 didn't say a single word, when I installed it on a firewire-hdd attached to my iBook with already a working Panther on the internal drive ^^
and on user level OS X doesn't make great differences between partitions and seperate drives..
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a little late but i haven't been reading the forums very thoroughly lately.

On my iBook (Mac OS X Tiger) in Apple->System Preferences->Startup Disk you can select what volume to boot from. I've never tried that since I saw no need to try and partition the iBook's disk, but this should mean that you can partition it into two volumes and select your favourite for next boot.
Using an external HDD is, of course, the cleaner approach.

(i know this is essentially what you said Cenrim, but I already had this thing posted when I read that lower part in your post + you didn't tell the guy where to select the boot device :) )

Hope this helps,
Magnus

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: