[SOLVED]can't login as root after etc-update; su works
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oclock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]can't login as root after etc-update; su works Reply with quote

Yesterday I did etc-update and there were a couple of pam related files where I chose "1)", replacing the original files which I never edited before
with the updated ones. I kept my /etc/securetty which allows root login only on vc/1.file
After booting today I can't login as root on vc/1 anymore. After entering my password I get the message "Login incorrect". :( I tried it several times,
to exclude typos while entering the password.
Loging in as a normal user on any kind of terminal and su are working fine.

I changed my /etc/pam.d/login according to a proposal found in this thread , but this didn't help. I also re-emerged shadow.
That didn't help either. :( Then I checked /etc/securetty (just in case ...:wink:) and it looked like it should, everything commented out but vc/1.

So I guess it's due to one of the other configuration files I changed during etc-update, but I have no clue which one and how they should look like.
Does anybody have an idea?

Any help is appriciated. :P

EDIT: fixed link
oclock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:oops: I just realised, that the names of the virtual consoles changed from "vc/n" to "ttyn" ("last login on tty2") after updating
the configuration files for udev. I changed /etc/securetty accordingly and everything is fine!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: