Joined: 29 Dec 2005
|Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 pm Post subject: Kanguru Optimus Portugal 3G with Novatel Merlin U630
I'll post here how I got my kanguru jumping in gentoo ... If you want a portuguese version of this HowTo take a look here
1) Before inserting the PCMCIA card in the slot do: tail -f /var/log/messages
2) Insert the card int the slot and take note of the device associated to the card. You should get something like:
|Dec 29 16:48:24 metropolis cardmgr6982: socket 0: Serial or Modem
Dec 29 16:48:25 metropolis ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
In this case the card was associated to the device /dev/ttyS0
3) In this forum there is a chat script, wich shoul be placed on the /etc/ppp/ directory
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
OK 'AT+COPS=0,0,"Optimus Telecomu"'
4) To send this commands to the card, I use a scrip wrote by a fried of mine, João Simões (This guy knows!) and later modified by me.
while [ $status == 1 ]
if test "`ifconfig | grep ppp0`"; then
echo 'Net Ok!'
ifconfig ppp0 mtu 500
echo "No connection"
pppd /dev/ttyS0 460800 noipdefault defaultroute noauth local lock connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/kanguru'
5) To connect just type as root: /bin/venet
I'll work on an init script soon.
Guys at the Forum mentioned above
=== Don't mess with the Black Cats if you believe in superstition ===