Problem loading 2.6.14.3_p0 HPPA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oeyvind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Problem loading 2.6.14.3_p0 HPPA Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Just gotten 2005.1 gentoo to install on a B2000 and have just updated the portage and also have I think compiled the new 2.6.14.3_p0.

Have copy the new kernel to my /boot, updated /etc/palo.conf and ran palo.

But somehow I cannot seem to be able to boot into the kernel... the bootloader says it cannot find the kernel.

Any idea on how I can debug this?
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does palo specify more closely what's going wrong?
Possible error sources are
- the palo partition (type F0) and the boot partition are not on the same device
- the boot partition is not formatted with an ext2 compatible filesystem (ext2 or ext3)
- the harddisk does have a very strange sector or block size (had such one from which I could only boot rescue kernels)
- If you are using an IDE disk as boot device, I don't know if anyone ever has tested this as most machines are used with SCSI harddisks
- you just mistyped your palo.conf. The /usr/sbin/palo command does not check the presence of the specified files, unlike lilo does

One possibility to find out more is to run palo in interactive mode (don't know ho to achieve this on the B2000 boot console) and then to let palo list all files it finds in your boot partitions.
oeyvind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPRichard wrote:
Does palo specify more closely what's going wrong?
Possible error sources are
- the palo partition (type F0) and the boot partition are not on the same device
- the boot partition is not formatted with an ext2 compatible filesystem (ext2 or ext3)
- the harddisk does have a very strange sector or block size (had such one from which I could only boot rescue kernels)
- If you are using an IDE disk as boot device, I don't know if anyone ever has tested this as most machines are used with SCSI harddisks
- you just mistyped your palo.conf. The /usr/sbin/palo command does not check the presence of the specified files, unlike lilo does

One possibility to find out more is to run palo in interactive mode (don't know ho to achieve this on the B2000 boot console) and then to let palo list all files it finds in your boot partitions.

I can boot the original kernel I installed with the 2005.1 universal CD, via palo.

Will double check the palo.conf again and also try booting palo in interactive mode (boot ipl) later.

Thanks.
oeyvind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaah.. problem solved.

It's my fault, that /boot (/dev/sda2) was not mounted... :( So, I copied the right kernel to the wrong partition.

Linux elmo 2.6.14.3-pa0 #5 Fri Dec 30 00:19:45 SGT 2005 parisc PA8600 (PCX-W+) 9000/785/B2000 GNU/Linux

Thanks again for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: