View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris.c.hogan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: RE: ebuild digest command mangling PORTDIR_OVERLAY Reply with quote

Huh... Seems a good nights sleep and a reboot fixed the problem. Works fine today. It must have been some fluke. :oops:
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
Has anyone noticed problems with this version of portage (53) on older hardware? I'm using it on my P4 and Athlon XP boxes that are stuffed full of memory, and this version of portage is blazingly fast on those machines. But when I've tried to deploy it on some older boxes, the results have been absolutely HORRIBLE!

On a Pentium-class box with 64 MB of RAM and a mwdma hard disk, the new version of portage actually takes LONGER to perform an emerge --sync than the older version of portage. I can only guess that this is an artifact of the fact that the new version of portage requires alot more memory, and that on a memory-constrained machine, this results in a tremendous amount of work being done in swap.

The really bad news is that although the new version of portage is FAST on modern machines, I've experienced a tremendous INCREASE in execution time on older hardware -- an emerge --sync now takes ONE ORDER OF MAGNITUDE longer than it used to take.

If what I'm experiencing is representative of the new software on older hardware, then Gentoo is going to have to revise its minimum system recommendations, as a 64 MB Pentium box just doesn't work like it used to after the portage upgrade -- its absolutely intolerable. Maybe we need to keep an older version of portage around for boxes like this.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Actually, I find it kinda slow everywhere. On my AMD64 system it is faster than my P MMX 200, but still rather slow compared to what it should be able to do. It's still getting stuck around the 50% mark for a long period of time.

On my P-MMX 200, it really becomes a "leave it go while I sleep" task, and it is in fact slower than the previous version, where it would actually only take about 30-40 minutes. AND, I'm using some excludes to cut down on the size.

So, Portage seems to be getting way to big for it's own good. We really need a new way of doing it. Storing these huge portage DIRs on every gentoo system (or shared for networks) is really becoming a little cumbersome, especially on the older systems.
Gogiel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've problem, that portage sometimes stops compiling some programs without any errors.
Now I'm truing to upgrade xfce4-base/xffm to ~x86:
Code:

(...)
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O3 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -msse -ffast-math -s -ftracer -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-O1 -o .libs/xffm xffm-basic_colours.o xffm-basic_local.o xffm-toolbar.o xffm-keybindings.o xffm-glade_main_gui.o xffm-mcs-manager.o xffm-treestore.o xffm-treeview.o xffm-main.o xffm-options.o xffm-settings.o -Wl,-R/usr/lib -pthread  ../libs/.libs/libxffm_on_demand.so ../libs/.libs/libxffm_secondary.so ../libs/.libs/libxffm_basic.so ../libs/.libs/libxffm_cpy.so ../libs/.libs/libxffm_actions.so ../libs/.libs/libxffm_calls.so ../libs/.libs/libxffm_tubo.so /usr/lib/libxfcegui4.so /usr/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so /usr/lib/libxfce4mcs-client.so -lSM -lICE /usr/lib/libxfce4util.so /usr/lib/libdbh.so /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lpthread /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libcairo.so -lXrender -lX11 -lXext -lpng12 /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib/libexpat.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libxml2.so -ldl -lz -lm -lrt
pentagon xfce-extra #

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: