xmms2 0.2 DrAlban
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: xmms2 0.2 DrAlban Reply with quote

Code:
XMMS2 is a redesign of the XMMS music player. It features a client-server model, allowing multiple (even simultaneous!) user interfaces, both textual and graphical. All common audio formats are supported using plugins. On top of this, there is a flexible media library to organize your music.

http://xmms2.xmms.se/

dunno if any of you actually want to try it out :)
I've modified the previous ebuild a bit, and removed the conf.d and init.d scripts as there seems to be no way to make xmms2d run as a daemon anymore (please correct me if I'm wrong :)) (it used to be xmms2d -d afaik)

All props for this ebuild should go to Ycarus, as he made the original ebuild. I just modified it a tiny bit...
ebuild for the DrAlban release can be found <ebuild removed as it cand be found on Ycarus' site>
You will have to add a few files to your /etc/portage/package.unmask and /etc/portage/package/keywords, or the mp3 player won't work...

If you feel like you need to update the ebuild, please let me know the changes, and I'll try to update asap...

have fun with this! :)

Last edited by Zyne on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ycarus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't download your ebuild for xmms2 0.2 DrAlban (link seems to be down). But I have updated my ebuild of xmms2 (and gxmms2).
I need to find a way to run it again as daemon...

Thanks
Zyne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ycarus wrote:
I can't download your ebuild for xmms2 0.2 DrAlban (link seems to be down).

yep.. I had forgotten a dir in my url... all is fixed now though :)

Ycarus wrote:
But I have updated my ebuild of xmms2 (and gxmms2).

hehe... I couldn't find it on your site yesterday, so I decided to hack your previous ebuild to make the new release work :)
Thanks for your work man! Saved me from going through a painful debugging time...

Ycarus wrote:
I need to find a way to run it again as daemon...

yup... same problem here :)
I haven't had the time to really have a close look at it, but I was already glad the ebuild worked out ok for me yesterday...
If you happen to find the solution, please keep me informed... I'll update the ebuild as necessary...

edit: I just checked out your ebuild on your site, and there's one thing that is really different...
I had to update sqlite and scons before I could get xmms2 to run. According to your ebuild it is not really necessary.
It seems like I should play around with it a bit more.
sleipner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: xmms2 0.2 DrAlban Reply with quote

Zyne wrote:

there seems to be no way to make xmms2d run as a daemon anymore (please correct me if I'm wrong :)) (it used to be xmms2d -d afaik)

How about reading release notes..

# The option to run xmms2d in background (-d) has been removed. Try xmms2-launcher instead.
Ycarus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: xmms2 0.2 DrAlban Reply with quote

sleipner wrote:

How about reading release notes..

# The option to run xmms2d in background (-d) has been removed. Try xmms2-launcher instead.

Yes I know that but xmms2 want to write a config file. So if xmms2-launcher is launched with an account without a home dir I don't know how to tell him to write the config elsewhere.
sleipner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: xmms2 0.2 DrAlban Reply with quote

Ycarus wrote:

Yes I know that but xmms2 want to write a config file. So if xmms2-launcher is launched with an account without a home dir I don't know how to tell him to write the config elsewhere.

xmms2-launcher passes argumets to xmms2d. So "xmms2-launcher --conf /path/to/xmms.conf" should do the trick :)
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good is this ? I mean sound quality wise, does it improve the soundquality over normal Xmms at all ?
Or are all the changes just to the design and architectural side ?

Thanx,
Jazz
In 2010, M$ Windows will be a quantum processing emulation layer for a 128-bit mod of a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz wrote:
How good is this ? I mean sound quality wise, does it improve the soundquality over normal Xmms at all ?
Or are all the changes just to the design and architectural side ?

xmms2 is a total rewrite. To the best of my knowledge there is *no* common code between xmms and xmms2. The quality is flawless as far as I can tell, but I'm using a fairly cheap soundcard and speakers, so I can't speak too much for any quality test. However, the structure has changed dramatically... the code is much more modular now, so even if play quality were somewhat poor, it would be much easier (and therefore more likely) for any problems to be fixed and amended than it would be for similar problems with the original xmms. Hope that helps.

p.s. I should mention that nearly all of my music uses the ogg decoder client (it's all encoded at ogg -q 6.5), so if the format-decorder clients could/do make any difference, I haven't tried aiff/mp3/pcm/flac/aac/etc...though I doubt that they play too much of a role in determining quality of output.
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: ebuild not working... Reply with quote

edit: this post is no longer relevant... I made the mistake of not copying the full contents of the ebuild...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: