dhcp problems (ns83820/3c59x)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiffistan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: dhcp problems (ns83820/3c59x) Reply with quote

I seem to be unable to get the network up with either of these cards (CNET something somthing 2000, uses aforementioned driver, and 3c900), I've compiled them as modules, the modules load fine (kernel 2.5.64) and no errors. However, when i exec /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start, it just tries to bring eth0 up. Note that I've configured the /etc/conf.d/net to read iface_eth0="dhcp". I've also tried to make an net.eth1 file as well, and configure this. I've even tried kernels 2.4.20 (gentoo vanilla) and to compile them in and not as modules. It still will NOT fetch me an IP.

However, the installation/bootstrap seems to locate them successfully, and has no problems with getting an IP. The logs say nothing at all. :(
CL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds quite similar to what I'm experiencing... :cry: Well, at least you're not alone!

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=41336
K0byB0y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By any chance did you emerge the Gentoo kernel sources ? I had the same problem with my 3Com card. Once I recompiled my kernel using plain vanilla kernel sources it worked fine.
spiffistan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

i used vanilla sources
K0byB0y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Gentoo Vanilla sources. I ended up getting my kernel sources from kernel.org Might want to try using that. Also make sure IP Mulitcase is compiled into your kernel. It should be by default just make sure you don't uncheck it. Also you might want to do a "dhcpcd eth0 -d" to see all the debug messages that are going to be going on between the DHCP client and your DHCP server. What kind of DHCP server you have ? Is it another box or is it a router with DHCP enabled ?

-Koby
spiffistan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it was the vanilla sources from kernel.org. sorry.
-d is on, and doesnt say anything in particular. the server is dhcpd3 and works fine.
K0byB0y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, try configuring the card not using DHCP. Try giving it a static address and see if it comes up that way. I was having the same problems as you. DHCP would not bring up eth0 and "dhcpcd eth0 -d" would only print out one message on the screen (which was the MAC address for my card). Just to be safe do an "lsmod" and make sure the module is loaded and is in use. Once you bring the interface up using a static IP you might have some routing problems. Give it a try anyway...

-Koby
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: