View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, for us GeForce users.. we have to wait until nVidia makes it possible to use both the rivafb and accelerated X drivers at the same time without all the problems they have with each other. Feh. That sucks.
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anyone figured out how to get rid of the RAMDISK message on boot-up?

Code:
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.

It doesn't really seem like an error, because my boot splash is working just fine. Could someone explain what it means? Let alone, get rid of it?

Gawd I am so anal...
khendon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also get that ramdisk error and my bootsplash works fine. But it would be nice to find out what it means.
Valhalla1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried this with a radeon (radeonfb) framebuffer ?

I have a 20" lcd panel and I run the radeon framebuffer, 1600x1200 resolution.

I would like to use this bootsplash but I will not go to a vesa framebuffer when I am in 16Kx12K console heaven now
kachaffeous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesa 60hz only, all others need not apply :(
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valhalla1 wrote:
has anyone tried this with a radeon (radeonfb) framebuffer ?

I have a 20" lcd panel and I run the radeon framebuffer, 1600x1200 resolution.

I would like to use this bootsplash but I will not go to a vesa framebuffer when I am in 16Kx12K console heaven now

i tried (and failed) with the radeon framebuffer. i couldn't get it configured at all (resolution, etc). could you please post your lilo or gub config file? There is no documentation i could find on this and I am trying to get my framebuffer to be 1280x1024 @ 85hz with or without the bootsplash. if i can get that configured i will be able to see if the bootsplash works (i have been able to get it to work with VESA 2.0 at 1280 x 1024).
Yoannez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Has anyone been able to have fbconsole working with kernel 2.5.6x ?

I can get it to work. :(
bud1979
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know how to move the jpg over when booting? When i am booting the screen has about a half an inch on the right that is black, but when X starts it is centered. I have tried to adjust the refresh and the vga modes in grub but still nothing. I am running a 17" Flat from dell model 1702 if that helps anyone.

My parameters are vga=0x31A video=vesa:mtrr:1280x1024@60. Thanks for the help.
Mr Wind-up Bird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Can anyone tell me how to get silent mode working? I can't find anyway to stop the kernel booting into verbose mode. Is there an option in the .cfg file that needs to be changed to enable sildent mode?

Thanks

EDIT:

Figured it out, splash=silent in Lilo
Valhalla1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:

i tried (and failed) with the radeon framebuffer. i couldn't get it configured at all (resolution, etc). could you please post your lilo or gub config file? .

Code:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 video=radeon:1600x1200@60
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: HEEEELLLLPPPPP !!! Bootsplash-0.5 doesn't work Reply with quote

I got bootsplash-0.4 working fine.
On last Update bootsplash-0.5 was emerged. I configured it, but no splash.:(
I recreated the initrd -> no splash. :(
Only the following errormessage: no good signature found.

Please help me I want my bootsplash back.

BTW. Consolesplash also not working anymore (I think no pics...) :cry:
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valhalla1 wrote:

well, it almost worked. for some reason it looked for the splash images in /proc/splash. i don't know why but that's the error that showed up when it tried to start local. i went back to the vesa driver and it still worked fine, though. :?:

also, with the radeon driver the text was off the edge of the screen by a few letters and you still cannot set the refresh rate (doesn't matter what number you put at the end it's always 60).
Valhalla1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
Valhalla1 wrote:

well, it almost worked. for some reason it looked for the splash images in /proc/splash. i don't know why but that's the error that showed up when it tried to start local. i went back to the vesa driver and it still worked fine, though. :?:

also, with the radeon driver the text was off the edge of the screen by a few letters and you still cannot set the refresh rate (doesn't matter what number you put at the end it's always 60).

ahh. thanks for the info

fortunately I run a 20" LCD flat panel monitor, which only works @ 60 hz (60 hz is bad for CRT, but just fine for LCD since the pixels are always-on and dont flicker like CRT)

anyway good luck and I hope someone figures out a way to get this bootsplah working in non-vesa framebuffer. its not like the radeon cant handle it or something
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Question about the progess bar and other scripts Reply with quote

Has anyone here managed to get the progress bar working? I tried doing the:
Code:
"echo "show progress_out_of_about_65000" > /proc/splash

But after reading some other info it looks like you have to edit the scripts? is this working in Gentoo?

[/code]
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new problem.

I noticed on my machine that when I have bootsplash in "silent" mode, I am unable to use more than one console ie: I cant alt +f2 to get to a new one. Instead what happens is it will freeze whatever I am doing. sometimes I like to compile progs in console instead of X. Some crazed superstition I guess.

But when I bootsplash verbose, I get switch to new consoles with no prob Has anyone else experienced this?

Cat
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know its a nifty idea(this boot splash thingy) but one of the things that made me so interested in linux is the ugly scrolling boot text that were all so familiar with.

and its only a boot splash not on for more than a few seconds unless you reboot often(not very linux-like) whats the point??

i dont mean to sound like a troll, but this thread has gone on for too long. i mean this boot splash thing sounds like something that only n00bz dr00l over

flame me.
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one also enjoy the ugly scrolling boot text. What's wrong with putting a hot chick along side it?

Ever since I have been using linux, it's all about getting bored, and finding something and doing it to see if you can do it. And then feel good about yourself for making it work. :wink: That is how you learn new things.

Also, I don't boot to X when I turn my PC on. It sets at a pretty 1280x1024 console until I need to run X. I do agree that if you are an hardcore X user, the amount of time spent looking at the boot screen will be slim, it is still fun to do.
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

141 posts 2686 viewed

there must be alot of bored people
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has nothing to do with 'bored people'.
I mean trying something 'new' and get it to work is for the most poeple the way of learning new things.
I mean a chair, a table, and a board is enough for a living room, but don't you wanna have it look 'your way'. Most people spend a lot of time customizing their homes and I think nobody would call them 'people with too much time'. It's just the feeling of having something unique. That is one reason why I love linux so much. You have the freedom of customizing your system down to the smallest details or you just install and leave it as it is....
And regarding to the amount of posts... I like to have a community which is interested in my opinions, achievements and questions/problems. This is one thing which is almost lost in today's social life. Most people think asking a question is a sign of weakness and missing knowledge, but I think asking a question is a sign of strength and will to learn more.... As somebody wise said a long time ago:" There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers...."
Qweasda
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if it has been mentioned but I didn't see it whne looking through this post...
Do you have to have the gentoo-rources kernel? I use the gaming-sources..will that not work?
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the gaming-sources and they work just fine.
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should work with just about all 2.4.20 kernels. I have done it with vanilla, gentoo, ck, and gaming sources.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed it (and its working fine), but when I use the silent mode i get no progress bar

the bootsplash.org site has no info on how to enable the progress bar en none of the bootsplash topics here seem to have any usefull information on how to enable this (other than "echo "show progress_out_of_about_65534" > /proc/splash" which simply doesnt work)

Anyone an idea on what to do to enable that progress bar?
blackamon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: ooh the progress bar! uhm... the progress bar... *sigh* Reply with quote

well i've been flamed several times on irc by people who can't understand why i want a bootsplash with the progressbar updating nicely until i'm in X with GDM... why do they flame me? well they sure as hell don't have a clue how to get the progressbar work properly themselves and therefore they do this instead. ah well... i'm currently at this 24/7 and i will be at it until i solve it. now for some progressbar info.

to enable the progressbar you must supply splash=silent to your grub or lilo config. since i'm using grub that's the only one i know:

/boot/grub/grub.conf
Code:
[...]
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 video=mtrr,vesa:1024x768 vga=0x317 splash=silent
initrd=(hd0,0)/initrd.splash
[...]

to update the progressbar you do this:

Code:
echo "show <value>" > /proc/splash

the thing is HOW to update it, this is what i'm currently trying to solve. since gentoo doesn't use a standard rc system it has made this VERY difficult to say the least. i would like the progressbar to update on every [ OK ] but i have no clue how to do that at the moment... if anyone know a solution, please post it!

/B

"- do { life(); } while(world_exists == true); "
Valhalla1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: ooh the progress bar! uhm... the progress bar... *sigh* Reply with quote

blackamon wrote:

the thing is HOW to update it, this is what i'm currently trying to solve. since gentoo doesn't use a standard rc system it has made this VERY difficult to say the least. i would like the progressbar to update on every [ OK ] but i have no clue how to do that at the moment... if anyone know a solution, please post it!

I would assume.. that you will need to add the command to progress the progress bar, to each /etc/init.d script which you use on startup.

edit the script, and I guess, add the command at the end of the "ebegin" section
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: