my broadcom b44 driver issue SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skidd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: my broadcom b44 driver issue SOLVED Reply with quote

I finally stumbled across the solution.
I know there are others here with this problem, so I thought I should post what I did.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a built in Broadcom 4401 NIC.
Wit kernel version 2.6.12 and previous had no problems working with this card.
But Kernels > 2.6.12 wouldn't work?!!?? Was it the kernel itself or my config?? Not 100% sure. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.13-r3.
The b44 kernel module would compile and load without any problems. It would even assign a static IP address correctly and appear as eth1. But no matter what I did, I could NOT get any TCPIP traffic through the card. My wireless IPW2200 worked perfectly, but the BCM4401 wouldn't? DHCP failed... ping failed.... it just didn't want to send any packets.

I searched and searched.. and searched for anybody with the answer. ... Nothing... Then I found a similar post with regards to using the ndiswrapper module with a different broadcom card. They suggested adding the kernel boot parameter "acpi=noirq". I figured what the heck.. give it a shot!
BINGO!!! That solved it. Adding that kernel paremter was all it took.

Now I'm running kernel 2.6.13-r3 with the build in b44 module and it all works.

Shane.
AgtSkippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!
derheld42
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have been the location of the previous find: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=151898

I tried acpi=noirq and compiled b44 as a module and it didn't work with kernel 2.6.14.2..

So, next I tried compiling b44 into the kernel and using acpi=noirq on the kernel argument line and it still didn't work..

So, I tried removing any ACPI support from the kernel and tried the kernel options and that didn't fix it..

I noticed that the livecd 2004.3 (2005.1 didn't work on this computer for some reason -- maybe the burn was bad) uses kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r1... That kernel has b44 v0.94 whereas the 2.6.14.2 has b44 v0.95 ...

Okay... according to the link above, I'm going to try upgrading my bios.
Finally I found bios information for my ASUS A7V8X here:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=de-de&model=A7V8X

I'm using BIOS Revision 1005 08/28/2002 and I'm upgrading to 1014 05/13/04... And what do you freakin know.. it worked!

As a final test, I'm removing acpi=noirq from the boot line. It still works.

Okay... one more test.. I'm compiling the acpi kernel options back into the kernel. It still works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: