Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
/sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168,1.1 netmask...??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: /sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168,1.1 netmask...?? Reply with quote

The Gentoo x86 installation instructions say to use the following two lines to set up a network interface manually...

Code:

# ifconfig $IFACE $IPNUM broadcast $BCAST netmask $NMASK
# /sbin/route add -net default gw $GTWAY netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

In my /etc/conf.d/net file I have the following line...

Code:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255..0

I left out the /sbin/route line. My Gentoo seems to be working just fine in terms of connecting to the Internet.

Is the "/sbin/route..." line really neccessary? If so why? When would it be neccessary?

My internal network computers have static IP's assigned to them running through a hub to a firewall which in turn connects out to the Internet.

Thanks for any insight on this.

Carlos
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route command specifies the default gateway. Later on in the /etc/conf.d/net file there is a special section for defining the default gateway without using the route command.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all it does is specify the default gateway then it's not neccessary for running a small home or business network that does not use gateways.

If I was setting up a computer to interface directly to the Internet itself then I can see where this line would be useful.

Thanks BonezTheGoon. Much appreciated.

Carlos

PS. Seems like the installation instructions could be simplified and made to look a bit less like Linux gibberish if users were just told to add the gateway, if needed, to the section reserved for that inside /etc/conf.d/net.
Floog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
The route command specifies the default gateway. Later on in the /etc/conf.d/net file there is a special section for defining the default gateway without using the route command.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

You folks have hit on exactly the same problem I'm having. I just installed ver. 1.4_rc3. My gentoo box is set with a manual ip address on my home lan: 192.168.1.7
The gentoo box then plugs into my dsl router which has a gateway ip address of 192.168.1.1
Every time I boot up my gentoo box, it won't connect to the net until I do the commands stated in Carlos123 original post.

I thought I had the syntax set up properly in my /etc/conf.d/net file, but maybe not. So, for now I've plugged in the ifconfig and route add commands from the gentoo installation docs. to see if that will work.

But I was hoping you could show me what your /etc/conf.d/net looks like so that I can compare it and see where I may be making a form/syntax error that's preventing connection to the net.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike (wow somebody with a real name :)). The only active line in my /etc/conf.d/net file is the following...

iface_eth0="192.168.1.100 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"

192.168.1.100 corrresponds to my Linux computer. All other lines in the file are commented out. I hope that helps.

Carlos
Floog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:
Hi Mike (wow somebody with a real name :)). The only active line in my /etc/conf.d/net file is the following...

iface_eth0="192.168.1.100 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"

192.168.1.100 corrresponds to my Linux computer. All other lines in the file are commented out. I hope that helps.

Carlos

Hi Carlos, thanks for the speedy reply.
This is very interesting--- so you don't specify a default gateway...maybe it'll work. I'll give it a try.

Mike
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in some Networking Linux HOWTO that a gateway is not needed if one does not use one. A gateway is just a bridge between one computer network and another network. Since I only have one network connected to my hardware firewall there is no need to assign an IP to an imaginary gateway. At least for the two computers I have inside my network (the firewall is a third computer).

If there is any gateway it is at my ISP but that's in their court and is not part of my computer network.

I believe I set up my firewall with the gateway IP at my ISP but I can't remember if I needed one there or not.

Carlos
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floog your /etc/conf.d/net might be perfect, however if you forgot to run this line

Code:
rc-update add net.eth0 default

then the /etc/conf.d/net file is not even being used by your system upon booting. Try running that command again (if you ran it during install properly you will get back an error indicating that net.eth0 has already been added to default, but at least you will know then) if it says OK then this is what you missed during install.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Floog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bonz:

Thank you for your help. I'll give this a try when I get home from work today. I think I may have missed doing this command during installation.

Mike

P.S.-- I'm amazed at the level of activity in the gentoo community. This distro. has quite a bit going on. It's difficult being patient with the length of time it takes to complete an installation, but once you're up there's so much power with being connected to portage, etc. Very cool stuff.

BonezTheGoon wrote:
Floog your /etc/conf.d/net might be perfect, however if you forgot to run this line

Code:
rc-update add net.eth0 default

then the /etc/conf.d/net file is not even being used by your system upon booting. Try running that command again (if you ran it during install properly you will get back an error indicating that net.eth0 has already been added to default, but at least you will know then) if it says OK then this is what you missed during install.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: