AT7 Max 2 and AGP with 8X Geforce
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bicycle-repairman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: AT7 Max 2 and AGP with 8X Geforce Reply with quote

Hi

Not a Gentoo problem this more Linux and of interest to some.

I have fiitted a Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 to an Abit Max 2 MB, because the Graphics card is 8X I think the AGP module will not load and the NVAGP just locks up. From what I have read here it should work if I change the Graphics card to 4X in the MB BIOS.

The problem is that with this card the MB BIOS takes away the options to change to 4X, the AGP speed setting has gone completely when this card is fiitted. Anyone got any ideas how to solve this?

The AGP module would load with this MB but a different Graphics card Geforce 2 MX.

The error from dmesg is:-

agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro KT400 chipset
agpgart: unable to determine aperture size.

Thanks

This is not a big deal as the system is fast and stable without AGP loaded. Just that if is it's there I like to use it.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to have a look at the AGP Aperature size setting in your Motherboard BIOS. This setting is very controversial and you may want to read up on it. But no matter who you ask anyone that has any understanding of what it is will tell you DO NOT SET THE AGP APERATURE ABOVE OR AT YOUR SYSTEM MEMORY AMOUNT. Sorry for the caps, but there are huge problems related to setting your AGP Aperature size to your entire system memory (or more than your entire system memory.) I have no idea if that is what is going on here though, but the errors are interesting. Maybe the 439M reported in the first line is too much for the agpgart linux support, and you can throttle it back to something sane like 64M.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Bicycle-repairman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply,

The setting in the BIOS for AGP size is 64M, and I have 512M memory on the MB, I think it can't read the aperture size because of 8X possible???????

Regards
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly possible, I have no direct experience with AGP 8X and I haven't really scoured the white papers on it to know if the addressing scheme or anything to with AGP Aperature should be seriously affected. I thought there was a switch (only if you are using the nvagp support though) that allowed you to choose which AGP mode in software, but that might not have been for AGPGART.

What is the output of

Code:
grep AGP /proc/pci

Maybe this will give us something to go on, then again maybe not!

Hey I just did a search and found this thread "Radeon 9700/KT400 mobo owners, UPDATE: AGP8X SUCCESS!!!", let me know if that information helps you at all (I know the card is different than yours but the info is about AGP modes 2.0 vs. 3.0 still!)

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Bicycle-repairman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok looked at the that, it would seem to be the way to go, so I will wait till an update to the AGPGART (3.0 8X) is available for use with the Geforce cards. I should hope that NVIDIA drivers will be updated so that NVAGP will work at 8X as well soon..........

Many Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: