Can someone explain arts and alsa?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Can someone explain arts and alsa? Reply with quote

Having arts running has prevented other applications from working before now. What I think happens is artsd hogs the alsa driver, other applications must then use arts to play audio. But since not all applications support arts they try to use the alsa driver and lockup, is this right?

Is there any other way I can set this up? I have disabled arts and renamed the binaries to prevent them being started due to the agro they cause.
clockwise
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arts is part of kde, where as alsa is just a set of soundcard drivers. if you are not using kde i would suggest removing "arts" from you USE variables. if your sound card is supported in the kernel, then you can also remove "alsa" from your USE variables.

not too sure what you were after, so it's a pretty broad summary.
Cyclone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsa is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. It's a package that contains drivers for many various sound cards. As of the 2.5 kernel series, ALSA is also now part of the kernel sound driver package. For the stable kernel (2.4.X), whether you should use the internel kernel drivers or the ALSA drivers truly varies on your sound card. I use Alsa for both of my computers, and overall I'm satisfied.

Arts is an interface, employed by KDE, to allow the sharing of your sound card between applications. Without Arts, only one application at a time can use your sound card, so things like trying to play MP3's while having your instant messaging program emit sounds is impossible. You are correct that arts "hogs" the alsa driver. After a certain amount of idle time, artsd (the Arts daemon) will sleep, freeing the alsa driver. You can specify the sleep time in the KDE control panel. Another alternative is to use the program "artsdsp" to run the applications which have not been able to access the alsa driver. Artsdsp is a wrapper of sorts, and should allow the program to access arts. Simply run your desired application as follows:
artsdsp <program executable name>
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what alsa and arts were, just needed to understand how to make apps talk to it. artsdsp seems be it

Cheers :)
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, artsdsp seems to be the ticket. I never found this out until a couple of months ago, but it works beautifully. If you're using a GUI (which you must be), just stick "artsdsp " (including the space, of course) before the command to execute a program you want mixed sound on, and voila, it works! (No more messing around with typing more than one command!)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Without Arts, only one application at a time can use your sound card
This is only true for soundcards that don't support hardware mixing with the Alsa driver.

For example I have one system that has an SB Live in it, I disabled artsd and have everything use alsa and it works great. I have another system that has via onboard sound and need to use arts with it, so I have everything go through arts instead.

If you look here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
The cards with a (4) beside them support hardware mixing with Alsa so you don't need to use arts. The main downside to using arts is a bit of extra latency and having to use artsdsp on programs that don't support arts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: