Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
problem emerge'ing mplayer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: problem emerge'ing mplayer Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to get mplayer to compile with OSS (or arts for that matter) support. "oss" is in the /etc/make.conf use flags, so I don't know what the problem is.

Any insight?
yoccodog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:16 am    Post subject: problem emerge'ing mplayer Reply with quote

i had problems when i tried to emerge mplayer as well. the compile always gave errors with dvdp.h. so i emerged libdvdcss & libdvdread first, then mplayer, and the mplayer emerge worked. hope this helps.
BradN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I ran into that as well. "emerge libdvdread" first and all was good in that regard. The problem is getting it to include (detect?) oss support when it compiles. Not having sound kinda sucks :(
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... I'm not sure why this was moved to Desktop Environments... it has nothing to do with a desktop environment (or X for that matter) at all...
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about moving it because IMHO mplayer fits in "everything that runs in them", as stated in the description for Desktop Environments. I'd say people would more likely look for info about a media player in the Desktop/X section. That's only my opinion, though... If you think it would better fit somewhere else, I guess it can be easily moved again. :)
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I suppose you've got a point there. Not a big deal, I was just wondering :)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with mplayer wanting to use alsa, also the alsa that comes with gentoo seems broken, trying to modprobe the module for my card just gave errors. I probably could of downloaded the newest alsa from the alsa site and got it working but I couldn't be bothered.

Xine works great so I suggest just using it :-)
drstrange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with mplayer it's always the best solution to download the latest CVS snapshot from www.mplayerhq.hu and compile that: usually works much better than the released version; and it has a good documentation so you can look up what you need to emerge first before compiling mplayer
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'll likely try doing. I was just wondering if there was an easy solution that I could just emerge it and have it work. If this is the case, why is there even an ebuild for it if in most circumstances you might want to download the source anyway.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
I'd say people would more likely look for info about a media player in the Desktop/X section. [...] I guess it can be easily moved again. :)

It wasn't possible when fghellar wrote this, but now there's a Multimedia forum, and that's where we're headed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: