ALSA on SoundBlaster live help needed.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[c4]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: ALSA on SoundBlaster live help needed. Reply with quote

Ok, reading through the forum it seems many people are having problems with this, i am trying to get my sound to work. i have a soundblaster live card that uses emu10k1.

ok i followed the directions from the ALSA guide, and it seemed to work untill i did this: /etc/init.d/alsasound start

I then get the following error:

Code:

* Initialising ALSA....
 * Starting sound driver: snd-emu10k1 /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: insmod snd-emu10k1 failed                                                                     [ ok ]

could someone please clear this up for everyone who is having this problem. What exactly do i have to do here, i am really getting frustrated, i used slackware for about a year and never had this trouble, i love Gentoo, but i really need to get back to everything else and not worry about getting sound.

thanks
[c4]
fbleagh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) check that you turned on the sound stuff inth e kernel and that the kernel got upgraded ( the number of times if forgot to mount /boot , copied a new kernel to it and then couldn't work out whay a new feature didn't work -- its astounding )

2) what version of alsa ? 9 ?
3) do an lsmod and post your results

Cheers :)

fbleagh
[c4]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i did turn on the sound shit as shown in the guide.
yes, i did load the new kernel when i booted

lsmod shows nothing, which is obvious cause there was an error when loading the module.

Next ideas...

:)
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. See if sound.o / soundcore.o(?) is loaded.
2. look if you get complaints about your PCI-Bridge. I got this on my laptop (pci bridge unknown) and wasn't able to access any PCI card. After compiling a new kernel boootmessage changed (PCI bridge unkown - assuming transparent) and everything worked on the fly.
3. checkout ACPI settings (try with and w/o)
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend using the free oss drivers for an SBLive. This is because I know they have full features/functionality/quality and I made an eBuild for them :)

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s9900580/linux_audigy_faq.html
Apolonius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check if you have a symlink linux pointing to your actual kernel source in /usr/src. Otherwise alsa won't be able to build the modules in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/sound/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: