SGI 540 power issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: SGI 540 power issues Reply with quote

This isn't quite a Linux issure, but there are a lot of great people here so I thought I'd ask.

This is a slightly long story, but I would like to ask your opinion on my power issues for my SGI 540.

I currently have an SGI 540 (512RAM, QUAD 500MHZ 2M, NO PCI, 3 drives). The box stayed on 24 hours a day for quite a while, one night it started to reboot it's self, within a day it'd just shut down and not turn on. It was acting as though there wasn't enough power to run everything, very typical of a dying/dead PS. So I bought a "NEW" PS from EBAY, everything ran well for another month, then the exact same thing started happening again. I bought another PS from someone else off of EBAY, and took out 2 drives, and the only PCI card. It didn't change anything.
I've swapped the order of the procs, traded down to two, and swapped out for a different pair of procs. I've replaced the motherboard, and bought a new DIMM that I've rotated though each RAM slot. I have not rotated the VRMs or the VRM for the video out though. I have added the flat panel monitor after the first PS was installed and that did work well at the time.

The only thing that I have noticed is that since it has been physically unplugged for a few months now, when I first plugged it back in, it did seem to want to run for about an hour. I took the side panel off to do some maintenance (RAM was loose from board replacement) and left it for a few hours. It now does the same thing that it had been doing: Put side panel on, box powers on for 3 seconds, then dies. The power button does nothing, or very little. I say "put side on" because it seems to need a re-set to have the power-up option.

It really does act as though it's the PS, but the firs one was "NEW" and the other one that I bought (that cost more) was OEM and unused.

What would you suggest? I wanted to ask before I tried another PS.

Thank you very much.
Linux William 2.4.24 #3 SMP Wed Apr 28 19:28:29 EDT 2004 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc II (BlackBird) GNU/Linux
cpu : TI UltraSparc II (BlackBird)
ncpus probed : 8
http://www.barrtechnology.com
http://chris.barrtechnology.com
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: