LILO Unable to determine root partition[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuMBi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: LILO Unable to determine root partition[SOLVED] Reply with quote

I wasn't sure whether or not this should go under AMD64 or not, but since the problem itself seems to be unrelated to the architecture, I posted here. I am currently installing Gentoo onto my AMD64-3000+ box with two sata drives in raid0. I used the dodmraid option to start the install and was able to partition my drives fine. I also patched LILO and that seemed to work just fine as well. The problem, however, was during the LILO install, near then end I got four beeps and the error: "Could not determine root partition!" Attempting to run LILO gave the error: "Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0xfe01". I also tried using grub, and on the first reboot, it appeared as if it would boot (the grub splash appeared, I selected the OS, and hardware was being posted), but then it said it was unable to determine the root partition. I checked over my fstab and lilo.conf files, as well as the lilo ebuild, and was not able to determine why the root partition was not able to be determined. Here is the contents of my lilo.conf:

lba32
boot = /dev/mapper/nvidia_fdjeffej1
map = /boot/.map
install = /boot/boot-menu.b
menu-scheme=Wb
prompt
delay = 50
vga = normal
image = /boot/gumbikernel
initrd=/boot/initrd
root = /dev/ram0
append="init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_fdjeffej3"
label = Gentoo
read-only

My fstab is as follows:

/dev/mapper/nvidia_fdjeffej1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2
/dev/mapper/nvidia_fdjeffej3 / reiserfs noatime,notail 0 1
/dev/mapper/nvidia_fdjeffej2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noatuo,ro 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

The edited line of the lilo-22.7.ebuild that points to the patch from http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid (I used this patch along with the dmraidinitrd and linuxrc files) is as follows:

if use devmap; then
cd ${S}; epatch /lilo-22.6-dmraid.patch
fi

I thought that perhaps the fact that the patch is 22.6 and the LILO version is 22.7 might be the problem, but a friend of mine used the same patch on his 22.7, and he said it worked.

I would put my dmesg in here, but is there a way to paste things into Links2 input areas from other screens without a GUI? There's no way I'm typing that thing in here =). After reading hours of forums, I couldn't quite find anything to match this exactly. I thought maybe it was a typo in my lilo.conf or fstab files, but unless there is one in the above, then I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GuMBi on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: LILO Unable to determine root partition Reply with quote

GuMBi wrote:
I also tried using grub, and on the first reboot, it appeared as if it would boot (the grub splash appeared, I selected the OS, and hardware was being posted), but then it said it was unable to determine the root partition.

It sounds like GRUB worked, but your kernel/initrd are not setup correctly to boot from a dmraid device.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with RAID LILO sucks ;-)

Thank you.
GuMBi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, so I figured it out less than an hour after posting... Figures. So initially I had forgotten to include nvidia sata support in my kernel... :? Then after doing that, I had rebooted because I wanted to try LILO again. So then after that failed, I had to chroot and all that again, but this time I had forgotten to mount proc...Once again :? So after mounting proc, GRUB worked fine and now I have a bootable OS

Thanks
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, for some unknown reason, I couldn't find the LILO support page does anybody know how to submit such bug to the LILO development team?

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: