Gnome 2.13.x development
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.13.x development Reply with quote

For those who are interested in debugging the next release of gnome and/or would like to contribute to gnome development, I posted a jhbuildrc file that will build a complete gnome 2.13.2 debug version side by side with a gnome 2.12.1 (~x86).
On the live gnome page, you will find the jhbuildrc script file. You will find jhbuild here on freedesktop.
I recommend to use a fresh user account to build the debug version of gnome. When you will want to use this gnome, create an executable .xsession file in the home directory of the user account used to build it, and log in from gdm with a "custom session" (details in jhbuild FAQ).

Last edited by sylware on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also use breakmygentoo's ebuilds, which is much easier under Gentoo.
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Good! Reply with quote

Break my Gentoo caught up with gnome development! Great news!

Why jhbuild then? Well mostly because it works directly with gnome CVS. For instance, some bug fixes went into totem CVS HEAD because of one of the bugs I logged. If I want to test/debug/dev, I feel more comfortable because I have fine grained control of source files CVS revisions, and I can keep my existing 2.12.1 gnome operational.

To summarize:
  • Garnome dev style: use Break my Gentoo ebuilds (easier).
  • CVS dev style: use my jhbuild script as a starting point then customize (harder).
Maybe we should be able to combine both: improve the gnome2 eclass in order to be able to configure the gnome dev ebuild in another prefix than /usr (if it's not already possible) and have a CVS eclass to be able to fetch the desired revisions of source files.

For instance: $CVS_TOTEM_DEV="HEAD" PREFIX_GNOME="/opt/gnome-dev" emerge totem-dev

We could also improve eselect to additionnally support a user based selection: eselect user gnome version-of-gnome
Evil2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently run a stable Gentoo with X, nothing more (no gnome libs and stuff), just stage3 + xorg-x11.
Would I need to merge something special in order to use jhbuild gnome, or can I go right on without emerging any dependencies?
Edit: I want to build it as an user into my homedir, just like garnome (which I used to use some time ago)

Last edited by Evil2000 on Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where can I find the changes for 2.13? (New features, etc)
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into Redeeman' fluidportage and the cvs ebuild class?

Both of those should allow development of GNOME CVS ebuilds with very fine grained control - infact I wrote some ages ago for my own needs. For everything you install Portage can help :)
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iotc247 wrote:
So where can I find the changes for 2.13? (New features, etc)

You won't really find a lot of new features in GNOME 2.13.x yet, the module proposals have only just started trickling in. But most of that nice performance, memory reduction work you have been reading about on planet.gnome.org should be in GNOME now, and starting the 1st of January, critical failures will crash GNOME so to catch more errors early, thus making the platform more stable come release time.

As for features, gtk-engines is being moved to cairo, 2.7.0 already has Clearlooks powered by it (as well as Mist I think), more engines to follow. There is also talk about including GNOME Power Manager, GNOME Screensaver and the Fast User Switching Applet, I also seem to remember there being talk about starting to depend on NetworkManager to handle some disconnection issues more elegantly. But it's still early in development, I'm guessing we'll have to wait and see what makes it into the final release - personally I'm most interested in the memory reduction work and the decision to enable more strict warning as errors when compiling, this will make things interesting for Gentoo users but the end result will hopefully be a much more stable product.

Oh and Pango has been rescheduled so that all the work that has been done to increase it's performance will make GNOME 2.14, glib 2.10 and gtk 2.10 are still slated for release post 2.14.

Overall 2.14 will be faster, leaner, stabler and work better... I love GNOME.
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: jhbuild like garnome... Reply with quote

The release engineering team has released since the beginning of gnome 2.13 development, jhbuild module files coupled to dev release tarballs.
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/teams/releng/2.13.3/
Enjoy.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the break my gentoo repositories to copy them into your overlay (If you don't like using them normally). They have had the 2.13.3 since the 15th...
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Indeed... Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
Just use the break my gentoo repositories to copy them into your overlay (If you don't like using them normally). They have had the 2.13.3 since the 15th...
Yes, I know that (read above). It's just that some people may prefer to work with jhbuild, even with tarballs. Common sense would use the break my gentoo ebuilds, since it's based on the dev release tarballs and the RightThing to use with Gentoo.
This was informative only. I do recommend break my gentoo ebuilds if you want to work on tarballs, and jhbuild if you want to work with gnome CVS.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misunderstood you.
Jedi Master
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? New features? You must be kidding - gnome is not producig new features - righ now they are busy removing the ones they have, because those features might confuse users :lol:.

In fact nothing new there - except some changes inside that should optimize the code, but you will not more likely notice anything except bugs and compilation failures emerging this. So I do not recommend to emerge it - of course unless you want to test and report bugs.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously are not up to date in the world of gnome.. If you happen to browse to the new ubuntu flight2 info - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperFlight2 - then you would think otherwise... Maybe not tons of new features but there are some.. One happens to be the searching in nautilus, another is the moveable tabs... Etc.
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also an overlay maintained by a gentoo dev at https://nemesis.fprintf.net/svn/gnome-experimental/ (see http://www.gryniewicz.com/dang/blog/?p=384).

Evolution bugs for me, so I'm staying away for now.
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: How many ways to code gnome on gentoo... Reply with quote

1 - break my gentoo overlay.
2 - garnome.
3 - jhbuild tarballs.
4 - jhbuild cvs.
5 - nemesis overlay.
No more?
:lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: