Problems emerging samba *SOLVED*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Problems emerging samba *SOLVED* Reply with quote

After the swapping out of various innards of my computers at home, I finally have my dual p2-400 server up and running again. I have a fresh, clean install, and so - on reboot into the new system, after an emerge sync, i emerge samba.

there were 5 dependencies, including cups, that installed fine, and samba appeared to be compiling, until it hit audit.so (i think - im not at home right now).

Then it just starts spewing out

Code:
Waiting for audit.o.lock to be released

and I have to ^c out of it. An emerge sync doesnt fix it, nor does commenting out the only mention of 'audit' in the ebuild.

Obviously I would like help in fixing this - I would like to get my file and print server back up and running. Does anyone have any ideas?

(Can post make.conf or whatever when I get home)

jerm

Last edited by jerm on Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: ok - more info now im home Reply with quote

Code:
roderick / # emerge info

Portage 2.0.47-r8 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.2.2, glibc-2.3.1-r2)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.4.20-gentoo-r1 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/ http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/qmail/control /usr/share/config /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="x86 crypt imlib java libg++ libwww motif opengl sdl spell svga truetype xml2 zlib gdbm berkdb slang readline tcpd -3dfx -3dnow -acpi -apm -arts -avi cdp cups -dvb -dvd encode -esd -gb -gd -ggi -gif -gnome -gphoto2 gpm -gps -gtk -gtk2 -gtkhtml -jpeg -kde -lcms -matrox mikmod mmx -mozilla -mpeg -mysql nas ncurses -nls oav oggvorbis -oss pam pcmcia -pda pdflib perl -plotutils -png postgres python -qt -quicktime samba slp sse ssl -tiff usb -trusted -voodoo3 -wavelan -wmf -X -xmms -xv"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
FEATURES="sandbox ccache"

Samba version being emerged is samba-2.2.7a, and also samba-vscan-0.2.5e. Have also tried samba-2.2.8_pre2.

I have just emerged links, so I know the system is ok - it just seems to bork on samba... any ideas?
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try by commenting out the MAKEOPTS="-j3" line in your make.conf. It looks like you have two parallell processes in a deadlock, so just running a single make might solve your problem.
jerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

Tried that. Doesn't make any difference... Has anyone else had this problem under the latest sources??
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I have almost the same setup as you, without any problems. Apart from the MAKEOPTS, the only relevant difference I can see is in the compiler flags:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium2 -fomit-frame-pointer -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -pipe"

Using -O3 shouldn't cause these types of problems, but might be worth a desperate attempt to replace it with -O2. Our USE flags seem identical, so it shouldn't be that:

Code:
# emerge -pv samba

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R  ] net-fs/samba-2.2.7a  +pam -acl +cups -ldap +ssl +tcpd -oav

Some other random questions: Is the error message in the first post exact, or is it how you remembered it (wondering if it is audit.o or audit.so)? In which part of the emerge does the error occur, in compilation or during installation (how does the output above the error look)? You are not having a previous version of samba installed, right? How about diskspace?

This doesn't feel like a problem with the ebuild, but can't figure out something more imaginative right now... :-(
jerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: output of emerge Reply with quote

Code:
... Compiling nsswitch/pam_winbind.c with -fPIC
Linking nsswitch/pam_winbind.so
Compiling nsswitch/winbind_nss.c with -fPIC
Linking nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so
Compiling utils/smbfilter.c
Linking bin/smbfilter
make: nothing to be done for 'smbwrapper'.
make: nothing to be done for 'smbcacls'.
make: nothing to be done for 'nsswitch'.
Compiling nsswitch/wins.c with -fPIC
Linking nsswitch/libnss_wins.so
Compiling utils/debug2html.c
Linking bin/debug2html
pam
Using FLAGS = -DHAVE_CRYPT_DECL -I/usr/local/sss/include -O -march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer   -Iinclude -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE  -DLOGFILEBASE="/var/log" -DCONFIGFILE="/etc/samba/smb.conf" -DLMHOSTSFILE="/etc/samba/lmhosts"   -DSWATDIR="/usr/share/swat" -DSBINDIR="/usr/sbin" -DLOCKDIR="/var/cache/samba" -DCODEPAGEDIR="/var/lib/samba/codepages" -DDRIVERFILE="/etc/samba/printers.def" -DBINDIR="/usr/sbin" -DPIDDIR="/var/run/samba" -DLIBDIR="/etc/samba" -DHAVE_INCLUDES_H -DPASSWD_PROGRAM="/usr/bin/passwd" -DSMB_PASSWD_FILE="/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd" -DTDB_PASSWD_FILE="/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd.tdb"
Using FLAGS32 = -DHAVE_CRYPT_DECL -I/usr/local/sss/include -O -march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer   -Iinclude -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE  -DLOGFILEBASE="/var/log" -DCONFIGFILE="/etc/samba/smb.conf" -DLMHOSTSFILE="/etc/samba/lmhosts"   -DSWATDIR="/usr/share/swat" -DSBINDIR="/usr/sbin" -DLOCKDIR="/var/cache/samba" -DCODEPAGEDIR="/var/lib/samba/codepages" -DDRIVERFILE="/etc/samba/printers.def" -DBINDIR="/usr/sbin" -DPIDDIR="/var/run/samba" -DLIBDIR="/etc/samba" -DHAVE_INCLUDES_H -DPASSWD_PROGRAM="/usr/bin/passwd" -DSMB_PASSWD_FILE="/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd" -DTDB_PASSWD_FILE="/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd.tdb"
Using LIBS = -lssl -lcrypto -lcups -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl -lpam -lpopt
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -march=pentium2 -O3 =pipe -fomit-frame-pointer ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -march=pentium2 -O3 =pipe -fomit-frame-pointer ) is a cross compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for libtool... /usr/bin/libtool
checking for poptGetContext in -lpopt... yes
checking whether to use included popt... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
Compiling audit.c
Waiting for audit.o.lock to be removed

and
Code:
roderick / # emerge -pv samba

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild N   ] net-fs/samba-2.2.7a  +pam -acl +cups -ldap +ssl +tcpd +oav

it would appear that its stalling on the pam code, but that the only difference in the USE flags is the oav...

clean install (started on an older install), plenty of diskspace, no previous samba because it wont install...
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking again... Have you tried clearing the /var/tmp/portage/samba* directory? If there is a previous audit.o.lock file it might not be removed before building again. (Wouldn't explain why you got it in the first place, but...)

BTW. And combine this with the MAKEOPTS and -O2 changes too.
jerm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: solved Reply with quote

Damn I feel like an idiot... the problem was that I somehow substituted a 0 (zero) into my makefile instead of an O (for orange...)

And even then - that didn't immediately fix the problem - samba still refused to compile, whereas postgresql (and links, and all their dependencies) did compile.

It was only after an emerge -e that samba compiled... Damn I feel stoopid :oops: It is puzzling though that everything else (system and all) would compile and stuff...

Thanks for your help Cederburg
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: solved Reply with quote

jerm wrote:
Damn I feel like an idiot... the problem was that I somehow substituted a 0 (zero) into my makefile instead of an O (for orange...)

And even then - that didn't immediately fix the problem - samba still refused to compile, whereas postgresql (and links, and all their dependencies) did compile.

Thats weird. You should have gotten the most common compiler error with gentoo -- "unrecognized option -03".

jerm wrote:
Thanks for your help Cederberg

You're welcome.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: