Problem with Eclipse Tools Platform (ETP) and Tomcat
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opensas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Problem with Eclipse Tools Platform (ETP) and Tomcat Reply with quote

I've just emerged and installed Eclipse 3.1.1, then I installed Web Tools Platform in order to develop jsp pages.

I've got apache-2.0.54-r31 and tomcat-5.0.27-r6.

Everything seems to work fine (except for the mod_jk module, see this thread if you think you can help me), but hen I installed the Web Tools Platform in order to edit jsp pages.

I create a new Dynamic Web Project, and add a "Hello World" jsp page, just to try.

The problem is that Eclipse doesn't recognize my working Tomcat.

When I right-click on the new jsp page, and choose "Run on server" from the context menu, I get an error

If it is running (/etc/init.d/tomcat5 start), it says that several ports (8005, 8080, 8009) are already in use, and in the Servers toolbar tomcat appears to be stopped.

So I stop the service with /etc/init.d/tomcat5 stop to let Eclipse start it, but then I get the error Server Tomcat failed to start.

I guess Eclipse is looking for some particular init script that differs from gentoo scripts.

Does anybody knows what is Eclipse looking for???

Saludos

Sas
Sir No
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be offended, but even though I'm a big fan of Eclipse (started to use it since pre Eclipse-2.x era), I think that for JSP you should use a better tool. WTP plugin is not finished yet, and it lacks several things (small, but annoying). Eclipse is rapidly growing, but in the current state is not the best workhorse if you need to have your job done.

You can SAFELY download a Linux version of the following:
  • NetBeans 4.0, 4.1, 5.0 beta2
  • Sun Java Creator 1 (~100 USD)
  • Sun Java Studio Enterprise 8 (~1400 USD)
unpack or install it in /opt and begin to use immediately.
Two last things you can download RIGHT NOW, FOR FREE, on the Sun Developer's site after a registration only (!).

I've chosen Gentoo because of its superior support for Java. And after two years I can still say that this statement holds.

But believe me, you don't have to compile everything from the scratch. In the case of Java binaries, you won't really gain ANY better optimalizations or speed-up if you compile everything yourself. That's because Java is so much standardized. And as one saying goes: "Linux is Linux is Linux". So I say: "Java is Java is Java". You can safely run most Java packages downloaded from the net, without recompilation. That's what I call a speed-up.

All the aforementioned tools are from the NetBeans family. They have a superior debugger, great HTML/XML/JSP tags completion, Java refactorings, and use Ant scripts for project managemant. And best of all (for you), they ship with integrated Tomcat and can use several external leading J2EE servers too (like Sun App Server, JBoss, etc).

Give it a whirl, you shouldn't be dissatisfied.
opensas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your reply, Sir No

I'll sure give it a try.

BTW, could you make the mod_jk module work with apache?

At the moment, I've got tomcat working OK, I can access it thru localhost:8080, but I can't see jsp pages thru localhost/xx.jsp

Saludos

Sas

PS: for the lazy ones:
register
download
Pulie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just learned to use eclipse and it's my favourite tool for java, c++, and j2ee development. Im having the same problem using eclipse&tomcat, the server just wont start. Im forced to develop my school project in xp because there it works like a charm. Now, if it works with xp, there must be a way to tweak it, so i can consentrate all my development in gentoo enviroment.

I've used netbean's also, but I don't like it near as mutch as eclipse. And I don't have the time to learn how to use the netbeans j2ee tools.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: