Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I currently have RedHat 9, why should i switch to Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That user signed up to post 5 posts in 10 minutes and never to return. It seems very likely he only joined to promote his (now removed) signature and was not interested in the replies at all.
sundialsvc4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you'd say that, amne. Let's see what he actually does.

As for "Red Hat Nine," I would say that ... you ought to keep up with whatever <your_chosen_vendor> is doing (because they won't reach back to support their "old" stuff...); but if you are otherwise satisfied with <your_chosen_vendor> then you shouldn't feel that you have to abandon them. If you're going to go to the trouble of switching to something fundamentally-different, then you should first know exactly why.

Now, why did I "do exactly that?" Mainly because my depth of experience with Linux had out-grown the limits of "a packaged distro." And the configuration of my system was hopelessly muddled, once I was no longer willing to keep paying for updates. So I carefully backed everything off of it, twice, and nuked everything and switched ... to LFS, and to Gentoo. And reloaded only about one-fourth of what had been originally in my (thrice-updated, hopelessly muddled) RH configuration. The system(s) run like ... a bat out of hades with four angels in hot pursuit. :D

But before doing that, I made sure that I was absolutely comfortable with "taking charge of the system myself." I left my main systems entirely alone, selected a literally-surplus machine, put RHx on it, then converted it to Gentoo. This machine, upon which there was absolutely nothing that I felt I could not afford to lose, became my guinea pig.
pv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I currently have RedHat 9, why should i switch to Gentoo Reply with quote

GBDBAG wrote:
I currently have RedHat 9, why should i switch to Gentoo? Any special benefits?

1. You shouldn't.
2. In Gentoo apache does not depend on X fonts :D
3. In Gentoo you can install exactly what you want/need but not what the authors of your distro think you want/need.
4. Gentoo is optimized for YOUR PARTICULAR machine... OK, maybe it isn't so important.
5. You haven't to pay for the next version of your distro (I greatly hope :lol:).
6. RedHat/Gentoo = Windows/Linux, so your question sounds like 'I currently have Windows 3.11, why should i switch to Linux 2.6?'.
7. You can cancel any patches which you aren't interested in the developers of your distro applied to a program.
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I currently have RedHat 9, why should i switch to Gentoo Reply with quote

GBDBAG wrote:

Yes, no RPMs. Nuf said...
knightmare
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause on this site you can say "shit", and on the redhat site, they kline ya for it... nuff for me to use it.
kirillrdy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try Gentoo, and see for yourself. If u'll install it, there is a small chance u'd go back to Redhaty,(esspecially that old)
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: I currently have RedHat 9, why should i switch to Gentoo Reply with quote

GBDBAG wrote:

Simple. ITS NOT REDHAT.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: