[SOLVED] hard drives ok, but missing in /dev, can't boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrycoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] hard drives ok, but missing in /dev, can't boot Reply with quote

Recently I rebooted my computer and got an error from fsck.reiserfs saying
Code:

Failed to open the device '/dev/hdd3' No such file or directory

fsck.reiserfs for device /dev/hdd3 exited w/ signal 6
Filesystem couldn't be fixed :(
give root password for maintenence

so I enter the root pw and then ls /dev and see that none of my drives are listed. As well as it's missing a ton of other devices too (all the tty's, but maybe those terminal devices don't show up until some processes are started, i dunno)

the weird thing though is I can traverse any directory at the prompt it gives me and see, edit, and do anything with my files, so the hard drive isn't bad (this is the contents of hdd3. hdd1 = boot, hdd2 = swap, hdd3 = root).

I can't run fsck.reiserfs because it can't see the hard drives in /dev. I've booted off of a livecd, mounted all the drives (they show up in /dev) and can use them just fine, but when I reboot it's the same problem.

the last thing I think I did was an emerge system, so I think some config file is messed up. But I've looked through a lot of them and they're fine/unchanged. fstab is fine. grub is fine. etc.

what other config files are there to check? Thanks

Last edited by angrycoder on Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
remi2402
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably having a udev issue. Try reemerging it.

Does udev give any errors when you boot ? (it's one of the first services started)

Rémi
angrycoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I didn't see anything about udev when booting.
turns out it wasn't even installed, so I emerged it.

but I still don't see anything about it when booting. Do I have to activate it in a config file?

I still get the exact same problem. I don't think I ever needed udev before (I'm using a 2.6 kernel).

Thanks for your reply though
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used genkernel to compile your kernel, you needed to pass it options to make it include udev. You also need to pass an option on the kernel line in grub.conf to tell it to use udev. The old devfs support was dropped in the newest 2.6 kernels, so if you recently upgraded your kernel, I could see how this could happen. Check the installation manual starting with the section on configuring your kernel (7b I think).

If you didn't use genkernel to build your kernel, then I don't have any useful suggestions for you. Sorry.
angrycoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use genkernel. But I suppose I can recompile the kernel with udev support, I haven't tried that yet. I haven't recently changed my kernel though so I don't know what caused this. I noticed if I enter the 'maintenence' mode and use their "(none) #" prompt, I can view the filesystem as read-only and in /dev there is a 'discs' directory that isn't normally there when it's properly listing my devices...
in it lists all of my hard drives, is there anyway to use these?

is this related to hotplug/coldplug? i haven't ever installed coldplug, but it was working before without this. I've checked hotplug config files too.

maybe it isn't a udev issue at all? Like I said, the 'emerge system' followed by etc-update changed a lot of config files... I checked a lot of them before booting so I didn't loose anything (since before it's annoying when it overwrites module config files and my nic driver doesn't load)

Like I said, if I use a livecd to boot I can access anything on my root drive, so the hardware is fine.
remi2402
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotplug is a script manager when a device is plugged in. It usually is used to modprobe drivers when a device is plugged in. You don't need hotplug because all your drivers are compiled in the kernel (mass storage and usb related)

Cold plug will do the same thing as hotplug but only when booting. Again, you don't need it for the same reasons.

For udev configuration I recommend you set RC_DEVICES="udev" and RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no" in /etc/conf.d/rc

That will force a clean udev setup.

Rémi
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernels 2.6.13 (I think) and later, no longer contain devfs support. So you will have to configure your kernel and system for udev if you ever switch to a newer kernel. As for your problem, I would guess that the system scripts got updated. Check the settings in /etc/conf.d/rc. As remi2402 noted, the RC_DEVICES setting is probably causing your troubles. If your current kernel uses devfs, and you want to stick with that for a while, then change RC_DEVICES so that it is set to devfs. You system should start working again. (assuming that it hasn't been messed up by all the things that have been tried to fix it)
angrycoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed support for devfs from the kernel and emerged udev, and edited /etc/conf.d/rc appropriately. That file was set up to use devfs initially, so I don't know what else in there changed....either way, udev is better and that's what I'm using now. fixed! thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: