dhcp server funkyness
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorford
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: dhcp server funkyness Reply with quote

I'm having some weird issues with the dhcp server. They're not critical, but more so a little annoying.

When i go to start the server:
Code:
/etc/init.d/dhcp start

it takes like 30 seconds from the "* Starting dhcpd....." to the "[OK]". Is this normal? Anybody else with similar observations? I find it hard to believe that it takes that long to start the service when I had been running dnsmasq with DHCP enabled and it starts quite quickly. (I need dhcp for some options that dnsmasq didn't offer in case you were wondering).

Everything eventually boots up, so doesn't appear to be a config problem. Normally the slowness wouldn't be a concern since most would just start it a go on, but I've setup a dynamic system where we can enter new computers that come onto the network into a database and that data is use to auto generate the dhcp configuration to setup the static IPs for the dhcp clients.

Nextly, i'm not sure if this is normal, but in the dhcp.leases file, there are some old leases still hanging around. Is this normal? I wouldn't expect the leases file to be a log of all leases current and past?
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: dhcp server funkyness Reply with quote

cmorford wrote:
...I need dhcp for some options that dnsmasq didn't offer in case you were wondering)....

Just for my curiosity - which options?
cmorford
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we have 2 different gateways, one that acts as a transparent proxy and one that the users must authenticate on to get out, so I needed to set the gateway for individual dhcp clients based upon what type of client machine it is. In dnsmasq, it's possible to do if you define a dhcp-range and name it, and then divid up things that way, but to do this statically, i could not get the static "dhcp-host" definitions to take one or the other gateway, instead it was giving a bogus gateway address to the clients. After much googling and forum searching, i couldn't find the right set of configuration options to get this to work, so i gave up on that option.

With the dhcp package, i can define each client to have it's own gateway by setting that dhcp option, and since this is an automated process, it was no problem to just define this option for each host.

So it's not really a difference in options, more so just the ease of use and special case use such as described.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: