Crossing fingers, NWN may be out very soon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibberx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Crossing fingers, NWN may be out very soon Reply with quote

I saw this on the Linux Server page on the Neverwinter Nights web site...

Important Information:
The 1.29 version of the client is not yet available. The 1.29 client will be out the week of March 10 2003 at the earliest. Until then, players will be unable to connect to 1.29 servers.

If the 1.29 client is coming out as soon as tomorrow, maybe that's what they were waiting on for the release of the linux client?? It's a possibility!

I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Maybe somebody will make an ebuild? I'm not gonna wait around for the ebuild though, the site is bound to be slashdotted :roll: so I'm not taking my chances.

It's also mentioned on their linux forum that they tend to release things on mondays anyway, probably so that they have the week to make sure it works before going home for the weekend.
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you have right, maybe not :)
I hope that we will wait not for a long time.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And because of bioware's stupidity you cant use the windows cd's (something they did promise, but promises are easy for bioware, living up to them not)
so you have to download more than 1 gb of game-data :)

They have a few days left until winter is over (their last "promise" spoke of a release in the winter 02-03)

I dont believe it anymore
grinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure somebody is intelligent enough to make an app so we can install off the CD's... at the very least you could install the windows version using winex/wine and copy data files into your linux install. I really dont see this as being as much of a problem as people are making it out to be :roll:
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe wine works, maybe not, fact is that there is no unpack program available for the compressed format bioware used...which actually is rather stupid if you want it to be used on other platforms than windows

I a afraid we will get more of this kind of surprises, because bioware doesnt strike me as a professional company when it comes to portability

The problem is that I dont want to download over a GB of data when wine doesnt work with nwn install(which is my current experience), so either they give me a pair of free (I already paid for the game) data cd's which can be used with linux or they give me a full refund because of the fact that their product doesnt do what was promised by them (and why I purchased it 8 monts ago)

Sorry, but I dont like companies screwing their customers like this..
yartz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bioware really isn't very professional with portability. I can't understand what takes so long for them to release Linux version. Are they Visual Basic coders or what?

Game companies should follow the example from Id Software and Epic Games with UT2003.
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: You may be saved Reply with quote

sgaap wrote:
Maybe wine works, maybe not, fact is that there is no unpack program available for the compressed format bioware used...which actually is rather stupid if you want it to be used on other platforms than windows

I a afraid we will get more of this kind of surprises, because bioware doesnt strike me as a professional company when it comes to portability

The problem is that I dont want to download over a GB of data when wine doesnt work with nwn install(which is my current experience), so either they give me a pair of free (I already paid for the game) data cd's which can be used with linux or they give me a full refund because of the fact that their product doesnt do what was promised by them (and why I purchased it 8 monts ago)

Sorry, but I dont like companies screwing their customers like this..

There has been a recent breakthrough in the work of getting the data files extracted from the normal data disks, go check the bioboards for more info.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=200553&forum=72
Gibberx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you, thank goodness for linux hackers with spare time...

Now where is Bioware with their client?? I wonder if they'll make it by their March 19th estimate given last time they delayed it. Gee and I started following NWN Linux more closely than Star Wars Galaxies because I thought NWN had a better chance of getting out first...
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to say that you saw/heard something about an SWG linux client? Please don't toy with my emotions that way - my heart about stopped when I saw your post, and I went straight to the SWG site, but couldn't find anything but negative responses concerning linux.
Linux User #223670
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think SWG plans to be released with a linux client at all. (unless you read the contrary somewhere?). That said, seeing how they are developping a MAC client for Everquest, I bet they plan to get one for SWG too. Point is, I remember reading somewhere that from a mac client to a linux client, the gap was not that huge especially since mac client uses openGL... and openGL works great with wine/winex.

Anyway, that's what I read... but like says my board title, I am a n00b ;).
gwydion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I hate to burst your bubble as far as the wine option is concerned, but It's looking like SWG is going to be done with DX9 support, which will take a while to be implemented in winex. I think it's fairly unlikely that they will develop any kind of a *nix version, I was just checking if Phantom had found something to the contrary.

I'm looking forward to both SWG and NWN, and dreading the SWG release at the same time. I wiped out my windows partition about a year ago, and haven't needed it for anything till now :cry: Oh well, at least winxp is fairly stable, and I'm only going to use it for games regardless.
Linux User #223670
TheDauthi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an unopened NWN box. When the linux client comes out, I'll actually open it. Not before.
Liff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the open beta count?
Bushmann
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwn works great with wine.
I already play it, and there are no problems, everything works, even videos etc.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There has been a recent breakthrough in the work of getting the data files extracted from the normal data disks, go check the bioboards for more info.

This looks interesting indeed
Quote:

Does the open beta count?

For me it does, sadly there is no sign of a open beta (only biowares statement but I know enough not to trust that though), and if bioware still means to deliver the client als promised they have only a few days left so a "open" beta is not that interesting
Quote:

nwn works great with wine.
I already play it, and there are no problems, everything works, even videos etc.

Nwn doesnt work work with eiither wine, winex or winex-cvs on my pc...I tried it numerous times (you have to do something in those 9 months)
Gibberx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify the SWG bit, it's not coming out for linux, I've just been waiting for it to come out period! I don't care if I have to dual boot again.

And it seems my NWN prediction was off... why am I not surprised :(
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the work on the client is finished, just some legal stuff before the stuff can be released.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legal stuff my ass ...what legal stuff lasts for two weeks to make clear?!?

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll work with lawyers then you know how long some legal shit can take.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: