Why the different languages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Why the different languages? Reply with quote

There are a lot of different forums for different languages.

I can understand people find it easyer to describe their problems and read in their native language, but I do not think it really adds to the value of the forum.
A lot of similar problems occur, and some people are smart enough ;) to not immediatly post a new topic, but search the forums for similar problems.

I've had this a couple of times. The problem is, that I get a lot of results in German, Italian, French etc. I can't read those languages, so they are of no use to me.

Making the forums in only language that almost everyone can understand will make it a lot more like a big knowledge database that people can search for their problems, so the chance that they find a solution within a few minutes for their problem increases dramatically as they don't have to wait for replies to their own topic.
AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR2
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
nVidia-drivers version 9755
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a theoretical universe I would agree with simplifying everything to one language -- it really does optimize everything!

In the real world we really want to make sure that the Gentoo forums are available to any large group of people that are interested in it. In short, we don't want to leave anyone out! I'm sorry that you feel the other language forums detract from your experience. Just imagine the frustration of the other language users getting back the bulk of thier results for a language they do not speak [or maybe they just don't speak it well enough to be comfortable with technical work] (english). And then imagine the frustration even more if you were to search and find that the Gentoo forums had selected some dead language as the standard Gentoo accepted language given we didn't want to make preference for one region over another -- boy then no one could read the forums. But at least then they would be easier to search and get back results no one could use!!

In short, so long as the world has varied languages any global project will need to cater to each language group.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you would select any dead language anyway.The most likely would be English, with which you are confronted anyway if you're using the internet often, and most likely will have to use a lot anyway to install any Linux distro as they are mostly not available in lots of different languages, and most documentation, howtos and others are all in English as well.

I'm not English either, and I must admit I do prefer reading in Dutch over English, but hardly ever is there a problem understanding the English documentation.
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people aren't comfortable with English and find a lot easier to express their problems in their first language. It is a lot easier to read than to write in another language.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, there are some people in this world that do not understand at all english.

I find it very kind from gentoo to offer the opportunity to some of their users the convenience to seek help in their native language.

What's the difference between finding a post in an other language you don't understand, or not bump on it because that forum would not exist? At least, if you think it can resolve your problem, chances are if you ask (in english) someone who understand that language to translate it for you, you most likely find a good samaritan that will gladly do it.

Seem to me that having forums in other languages accrues slightly the potential of finding answers.

Merci Gentoo.
Thanks Gentoo.
Dank u Gentoo
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not argue the fact that it's very kind to offer the opportunity.

But when that forum in another language wouldn't have been there, the person involved would most likely have posted his problem in English on one of the other forums, so the post would still be there with replies useful for almost everyone.

There are lots of localized tech-sites with forums in their local language, where, if anyone happens to have serious trouble with English, someone can post in their own language.

Anyway, apparently I'm on my own on this issue here, so just forget the idea :p
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can select a particular forum in which to search for results. You will have to click on the search link as opposed to using the quick search bar.
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can do that. But not every possible subject is covered in each separate forum. I would just like to access the information that is stored in the Spanish forum for example, if I cannot find a solution to my problem in the English, Dutch or general forums, while it could be on one of the language-specific forums.
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you PM someone you spotted in a thread that looks like it could help you and ask for a synopsis? Many people prefer their own language, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're unable to make an effort if being asked politely.

That said, I know that there are lots of users in the non-English forums who are simply unable to follow a discussion in English, let alone actively participate. One of the reasons is age: The German forum, to take just one example, is full of people simply too young to be advanced enough in their language studies. And we haven't even started with Chinese, Japanese, and Korean yet... The average level of English abilities in these countries is very low, regardless of age, they're the ones most in need of a forum in their language. If it's of any consolation to you, your searches are unlikely to hit many of their threads...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: