View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: DEPRECATED mozilla-firefox-1.5rc ebuilds here, Reply with quote

This is the follow up to the firefox-1.5 rc1 forums thread found here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-397924-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
and is now deprecated
Thanks to Zyne and bbe for giving us the opportunity to host the ebuilds
This forum is deprecated as firefox and thunderbird 1.5 are now in portage thanks everybody to help to get the beasts in
Discussions and (hopefully) help is found here
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-403846.html

For those who used the mozilla-firefox-9999.ebuild to pull the 1.5 sources directly from CVS: I updated also this ebuild to match the correct versioning of firefox, please use the file also contained in the mozilla-firefox-rc1-1.5.tar.gz file. This is the first version using the mozconfig-cvs.eclass contained also in the ebuild tarball.

Updates for mozilla-firefox-cvs-9999.ebuild and mozilla-thunderbird will follow......

Last edited by wuno on Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:01 pm; edited 6 times in total
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a few minor changes to the previous ebuild in the other topic, using a nicer icon and naming it correctly as mozilla-firefox-1.5_rc2 (adding -r11 to prevent confusion). You can download it from http://dev.d10e.net/files/var/mozilla-firefox.tbz2 - have fun!
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, but bad timing. I emerged thunderbird-1.5-rc1 using your ebuilds this morning :P
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some question about hanging firefox - so it seems it is general problem https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-316567-highlight-gconfd.html and sth not specific to 1.5 series
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
abhay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When can we download the ebuilds? Are they up yet?
bladus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
I made a few minor changes to the previous ebuild in the other topic, using a nicer icon and naming it correctly as mozilla-firefox-1.5_rc2 (adding -r11 to prevent confusion). You can download it from http://dev.d10e.net/files/var/mozilla-firefox.tbz2 - have fun!

Thanks! working fine here
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ebuilds. Just needed to change "mozconfig2" to "mozconfig-2" to correctly reflect the current eclass name.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case you use the official portage eclass, while I have used the eclass in my overlay from the previous (beta and rc1) ebuilds provided in the other topic here in Unsupported Software.
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the official mozconfig-2.eclass wasn't working. I grabbed the mozconfig2.eclass you referred to and I'm giving it a go now. That's what happens when you jump into the middle of something. :wink:
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not use my eclass anymore, as it will bring only chaos here :)
So I would like to support the move wuno has made to the official eclass (which in fact is not that different) and moreover he has asked me, if he should do it.
There are the following strong arguments against my eclass:

1. it will not be supported by the official portage :)
2. most of it is now in the official eclass
3. it is better to concentrate on one source of possible bugs and not on two, in this way we could iron them out

The small differences between the two are:

1. the official class will not use the system cairo and will compile own version
2. the finegrained control of mozpango is not there, pango is turned on by default

I'll test this soon but it should be ok to use the moznoxft and truetype flags - as they should do nothing, xft should be selected by default, truetype is deprecated as it is only recommended for gtk1.
Godsmack
krazykit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've not been able to get this to run, for some reason. Basically, it builds fine, and when I run it, firefox-bin just takes up 99.9~% CPU, and simply hangs. Killing it removes the process, but it still won't run. Running an strace, I found this (last few lines):
Code:
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {0x80775a8, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
waitpid(-1,

where it promptly hangs

Pertinent info:
Code:
emerge -pv mozilla-firefox
[ebuild   R   ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5_rc4  -debug -gnome +ipv6 -java +ldap -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg +ssl -truetype* -xinerama -xprint

emerge --info (with unpertinent info [config_protect, portage dirs] removed)
Code:
Portage 2.0.53_rc7 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r3, 2.6.14-gentoo i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.14-gentoo i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre10
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5, 2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.13
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.20-r1
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O1 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointers"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O1 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointers"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="x86 X aalib aim alsa apm audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr crypt cups curl directfb divx4linux dvd emboss encode erandom ethereal exif expat fam ffmpeg flac foomaticdb fortran ftpgnome gd gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 guile hal howl idn imagemagick imap imlib ipv6 java jikes jpeg lcms ldap libcaca libg++ libwww lua mad mikmod mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg mplayer musicbrainz nas ncurses nptl objc offensive ogg oggvorbis openal opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl plotutils png python qt quicktime readline recode samba sdl slp spell sqlite sse sse2 ssl svg tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb vorbis win32codecs wmf xgetdefault xine xml xml2 xmms xv xvid zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS

I can't seem to figure out what the deal is. I'll try knocking off -fomit-frame-pointers, and removing -O1, but... we'll see. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Fixed... Seems that it wasn't appreciating either -fomit-frame-pointers or -01. I don't feel like rebuilding it to see what the problem is, though.

EDIT2, SOLVED: Right, it build fine with "-march=pentium4 -O2" so I figure my problem was with -fomit-fram-pointers.

Last edited by krazykit on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Anarchy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: ff-1.5 and tb-1.5 Reply with quote

I have just added 1.5rc2 to the tree for firefox and tb-1.5 rc1 is in tree I did use your patches. I wish I could support the cvs ebuild of firefox but that would involve me making a snapshot which I do not have time for. If anyone is interested in helping to bring 1.5 rc2 firefox and or 1.5rc1 thunderbird feel free to post and I will see how much I can incorportate into the tree. Mozconfig-2 will be modified here in near future to remove freetype2 support as it requires you to enable moznoxft and truetype to use at present with thunderbird. Feel free as I said to lay any suggestions and/or questions here or via email. anarchy@gentoo.org

Thanks for what you all have contributed to the users during my absence with bring 1.5 ebuilds to the tree it was much appreciated and I will be taking active bugs reports via bugzilla in the next release so everyone is clear on where that stands.
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having issues trying to emerge mozilla-firefox-1.5rc2-r1 from portage. It doesn't see the ebuild on the system and if I do emerge =www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5_rc2-r1 then I get

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5_rc2-r1" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5_rc2-r1 (masked by: -* keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Is this hardmasked because I don't see it in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask and I've got an entry for it in package.unmask.
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get it to merge by putting the following in /etc/portage/package.keywords:

=www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5* -*
wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krazykit wrote:

EDIT: Fixed... Seems that it wasn't appreciating either -fomit-frame-pointers or -01. I don't feel like rebuilding it to see what the problem is, though.

EDIT2, SOLVED: Right, it build fine with "-march=pentium4 -O2" so I figure my problem was with -fomit-fram-pointers.
I have built it every time with -march=pentium4 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointers -pipe" and did not see any problems. However, when I started to change to gcc-4 I thought it would be a good idea to build with -O1 instead of -O2. Interestingly this caused problems with many packages (including Firefox-1.0.x) whereas using "-O2" did not.
wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ff-1.5 and tb-1.5 Reply with quote

Anarchy wrote:
I have just added 1.5rc2 to the tree for firefox and tb-1.5 rc1 is in tree I did use your patches. I wish I could support the cvs ebuild of firefox but that would involve me making a snapshot which I do not have time for. If anyone is interested in helping to bring 1.5 rc2 firefox and or 1.5rc1 thunderbird feel free to post and I will see how much I can incorportate into the tree. Mozconfig-2 will be modified here in near future to remove freetype2 support as it requires you to enable moznoxft and truetype to use at present with thunderbird. Feel free as I said to lay any suggestions and/or questions here or via email. anarchy@gentoo.org

Thanks for what you all have contributed to the users during my absence with bring 1.5 ebuilds to the tree it was much appreciated and I will be taking active bugs reports via bugzilla in the next release so everyone is clear on where that stands.
Maybe you want to have a look at the diff printed in the topmost posting. This diff was actually made against your current rc2-r1 ebuild. As you can see not much differences. It uses now also your mozconfig-2.eclass. Gergan revised and approved it. One interesting point for you could be the pkgconfig files. We defined at the start of our ebuild the variable "MY_PV". The value of it, 1.5, is used later on in the ebuild by sed to change the mozilla-path statements(probably sth. like /usr/lib/firefox-1.5) to those used by gentoo in the pkgconfig files. So I would assume that at least some entries in the firefox-*.pc or firefox-config files might not be set correctly by your ebuild, but thats only a guess and you can easily check on your system. If they are ok, we could remove that variable from our ebuild.
Another point was that you now do not use any longer the mozilla-1.7.10-nsplugins-v2.patch. Can we omit it?
What about the rpath.patch? I used it since the first version of Gergan's ebuild and had no problems so far. Are there any objections, why it shouldn't be used?
The only other differences are then that we build "ssl and ldap", which may not be neccesarily required.
Regarding the new thunderbird ebuild only one difference to ours, you export MOZ_THUNDERBIRD, since mozilla-1.8 branching this should be MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail from http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8/source/client.mk :
Code:
465 ifdef MOZ_THUNDERBIRD
466 $(warning MOZ_THUNDERBIRD is obsolete.)
467 MOZ_MODULE_LIST += $(MODULES_mail)
468 # $(error MOZ_THUNDERBIRD is obsolete, use MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail and --enable-application=mail)
469 endif
Anarchy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ff-1.5 and tb-1.5 Reply with quote

wuno wrote:
If they are ok, we could remove that variable from our ebuild.
Another point was that you now do not use any longer the mozilla-1.7.10-nsplugins-v2.patch. Can we omit it? What about the rpath.patch? I used it since the first version of Gergan's ebuild and had no problems so far. Are there any objections, why it shouldn't be used?
The only other differences are then that we build "ssl and ldap", which may not be neccesarily required.
Regarding the new thunderbird ebuild only one difference to ours, you export MOZ_THUNDERBIRD, since mozilla-1.8 branching this should be MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail from http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8/source/client.mk :
Code:
465 ifdef MOZ_THUNDERBIRD
466 $(warning MOZ_THUNDERBIRD is obsolete.)
467 MOZ_MODULE_LIST += $(MODULES_mail)
468 # $(error MOZ_THUNDERBIRD is obsolete, use MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail and --enable-application=mail)
469 endif

we do not use the rpath or nsplugins patch anymore as they are handled by sed. ssl is not needed everything can still link against firefox such as mplayerplug-in granit it will not until gecko-1.8 engine is supported by there upstream devs. Thanks for pointing out the MOZ_CO_PROJECT I will make the change here in a min to the ebuild. The sed statements I use in the build are to keep consistency in portage all pkg-config files are fine I will double check them at the same time tho.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ff-1.5 and tb-1.5 Reply with quote

Anarchy wrote:

First thanks for the fast reaction and I think, we all are glad to help, when and if we can.

Second I have some questions:
Are there any problems with the mozilla-1.7.10-nsplugins-v2.patch and the mozilla-rpath-1.patch, as they are not applied, but the sed expressions are there, this is probably because the patches were applied automagically in the earlier ebuilds.
Is there any problems adding the building/installing of the nss/nspr libraries, to allow building the other applications against firefox (aka the ssl-flag) in the official builds. Or probably it would be better to have corrected system nss/nspr-libraries (installing pkg-config files and so on) and building ff/tb --with-system-nss/nspr. In such way the portage could get rid of the unneeded firefox/mozilla-flags in some packages.
Gergan

[EDIT] oho i write too slow :)[/EDIT]
Godsmack
Anarchy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ff-1.5 and tb-1.5 Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
First thanks for the fast reaction and I think, we all are glad to help, when and if we can.

Second I have some questions:
Are there any problems with the mozilla-1.7.10-nsplugins-v2.patch and the mozilla-rpath-1.patch, as they are not applied, but the sed expressions are there, this is probably because the patches were applied automagically in the earlier ebuilds.
Is there any problems adding the building/installing of the nss/nspr libraries, to allow building the other applications against firefox (aka the ssl-flag) in the official builds. Or probably it would be better to have corrected system nss/nspr-libraries (installing pkg-config files and so on) and building ff/tb --with-system-nss/nspr. In such way the portage could get rid of the unneeded firefox/mozilla-flags in some packages.
Gergan

[EDIT] oho i write too slow :)[/EDIT]

Well I think I have answered first part already :D if not let me know and I will rephrase it. As far as building the nss/nspr parts of firefox is a mute point at this point, We (mozilla herd) have voted against it in favor of using the nss/nspr packages. I am gonna be doing some testing here in near future with building firefox and thunderbird against nss/nspr packages instead of those shipped with the mozilla products. The mozilla flag will go away soon unless the mozilla foundation is decided to continue the development of mozilla, last I heard it was planned to drop support of it and concentrate on firefox/thunderbird.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well I think I have answered first part already :D if not let me know and I will rephrase it. As far as building the nss/nspr parts of firefox is a mute point at this point, We (mozilla herd) have voted against it in favor of using the nss/nspr packages. I am gonna be doing some testing here in near future with building firefox and thunderbird against nss/nspr packages instead of those shipped with the mozilla products. The mozilla flag will go away soon unless the mozilla foundation is decided to continue the development of mozilla, last I heard it was planned to drop support of it and concentrate on firefox/thunderbird.

well I've tested it now and it does not work, the problem is that in the earlier builds, we have
Code:
src_unpack() {
   unpack firefox-${PV}-source.tar.bz2 mozilla-${PVER}.tar.bz2
   cd ${S} || die "cd failed"

if use mozsvg; then
      cd ${S}/other-licenses
      unpack moz_libart_lgpl-${SVGVER}.tar.bz2
   fi
   cd ${S}

####################################
   #
   # patch collection
   #
   ####################################

# Need pango-1.10.0 stable
   rm -f ${WORKDIR}/patch/03[67]*
   epatch ${WORKDIR}/patch

which applies the patches, which are in the azarah's tarball and here we do not have the patches applied, I've let it go through configure process and stopped it and grepped, there is no change in the sources:)
As to mozilla, it seems that it will be stopped, although there are some developers, who are willing to continue it, but no one knows.
Godsmack
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to test out the portage ebuild, so I emerge -C mozilla-firefox and recompiled the portage build, but now I can't compile epiphany again.

Code:
checking for /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/include/chrome/nsIChromeRegistrySea.h... no
checking for mozilla security compoment... no
checking for toolkit's nsITypeAheadFind... no
checking whether to include PSM support... yes
configure: error: PSM headers not found; use --disable-psm to disable building with PSM support

wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaMMa wrote:
I decided to test out the portage ebuild, so I emerge -C mozilla-firefox and recompiled the portage build, but now I can't compile epiphany again.

Code:
checking for /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/include/chrome/nsIChromeRegistrySea.h... no
checking for mozilla security compoment... no
checking for toolkit's nsITypeAheadFind... no
checking whether to include PSM support... yes
configure: error: PSM headers not found; use --disable-psm to disable building with PSM support
Seems that it don't find the nss-headers, either they are not installed (do you have /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/include/nss/ ?) or an issue with the firefox-nss.pc firefox-nspr.pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig... no better idea at the moment.

Last edited by wuno on Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important question for "meh": is firefox localized after emerge? Because I know there's polish localization (http://www.firefox.pl/pobierz-1.5rc2.html) but I want to install it "the gentoo way", from source :)
Zyne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbar wrote:
Important question for "meh": is firefox localized after emerge? Because I know there's polish localization (http://www.firefox.pl/pobierz-1.5rc2.html) but I want to install it "the gentoo way", from source :)

I believe (although I'm not sure at all) you just have to make some changes to your make.conf, so that it includes the language you want...
Maybe this page will help you a bit more though: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml#variables

oh, and I'm also subscribing to the thread of course :)
wuno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbar wrote:
There is no easy way to get this the "gentoo way", because localizations are not part of the official source tarball. For only a short time I did it downloading the localizations and putting them into a cvs-ebuild. However than it built only in German, no switch back to en_US. And to be honest, there is nothing that would be compiled, the translation files are as they are and are only pulled in (*.dtd, *.jar, *.js and so on). As of my experience, if you want to have localization, you are really better off with the *.xpi files, they contain more or less the same and you can if you need switch back to en_US. Here's a link where you can have a look, how the files look like
http://lxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.8/source/pl/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: