Helping out in bugtesting?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Helping out in bugtesting? Reply with quote

Hey there, I just had a quick couple of questions for you.

I want to get involved, and give back, so I have looked towards the Bugzilla. Now, what sort of things can I do to help? Posting detailed explanations of my bugs, that's a given. But as for testing other peoples bugs and seeing if they are reproduced, or things like that?

Just want to give back and get involved. =)

Desktop --> AMD Athlon XP 2600+@2GHZ, 1024mb DDR, BFG GeForce 6600GT OC, Gentoo (Emission guide)
Server --> AMD Duron 1300, 384mb, Gentoo Hardened
Laptop --> Intel Pentium II@399MHZ, 64mb, Gentoo
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060626-newsletter.xml
Quote:
Gentoo x86 arch testers and developers wanted

The x86 architecture team is looking for more ambitious members of the community who would like to help out by joining the team as Arch Testers. If you would like to give back to Gentoo, but don't know how, then this may be a good way for you to start. You would be helping by testing applications to be marked stable and assisting in general x86-specific bugs. Please take a look at the x86 AT documentation, and if you have questions about anything, please either email Homer Parker or Joshua Jackson. They are also looking for more developers to join the team and help out in resolving bug reports, keywording requests, and security bugs. Interested developers need only have a stable system or chroot, and be willing to work on bugs assigned to the x86 team. Please send an email to the x86 team alias, if you are interested in helping out.
Go to the actual URL for the links.
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
Taken from http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060626-newsletter.xml
Quote:
Gentoo x86 arch testers and developers wanted

The x86 architecture team is looking for more ambitious members of the community who would like to help out by joining the team as Arch Testers. If you would like to give back to Gentoo, but don't know how, then this may be a good way for you to start. You would be helping by testing applications to be marked stable and assisting in general x86-specific bugs. Please take a look at the x86 AT documentation, and if you have questions about anything, please either email Homer Parker or Joshua Jackson. They are also looking for more developers to join the team and help out in resolving bug reports, keywording requests, and security bugs. Interested developers need only have a stable system or chroot, and be willing to work on bugs assigned to the x86 team. Please send an email to the x86 team alias, if you are interested in helping out.
Go to the actual URL for the links.

I've seen that yes, but I'm not skilled in ebuilds just yet, and have no programming skills. I'd fail that test they give you, for sure. At least, at this present time I would.

Desktop --> AMD Athlon XP 2600+@2GHZ, 1024mb DDR, BFG GeForce 6600GT OC, Gentoo (Emission guide)
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, basically just report any bugs you find, keep an eye out for calls for beta testers, and I highly recommend getting some programming experience. Learn C or C++, it'll help out a lot with bug fixing.
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
In that case, basically just report any bugs you find, keep an eye out for calls for beta testers, and I highly recommend getting some programming experience. Learn C or C++, it'll help out a lot with bug fixing.

Can you suggest any resources that would help with that?

chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cplusplus.com has a good tutorial that'll teach you the basics, and a nice reference section for the libraries.
http://www.cprogramming.com is also quite good.
I learnt some things from a book called "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" published by SAMs, although it more focused on memory management and efficient programming. I wouldn't get it unless you get really into it, go with the free stuff first ;) There are also other pretty good books out there, just go down to a big library and work your way though their Computing section, it's fun! :D
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
http://www.cplusplus.com has a good tutorial that'll teach you the basics, and a nice reference section for the libraries.
http://www.cprogramming.com is also quite good.
I learnt some things from a book called "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" published by SAMs, although it more focused on memory management and efficient programming. I wouldn't get it unless you get really into it, go with the free stuff first ;) There are also other pretty good books out there, just go down to a big library and work your way though their Computing section, it's fun! :D

Thanks a lot! I'll give these a look, =).

Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off as an AT you do not really need to know much about ebuilds. Knowing how to change keywords, and very simple stuff is needed, but not much beyond that. It is a definite bonus, but nothing that is really required unless you want to take the quiz and become an official AT. Looking at bugs and testing to see if you can find any bugs is always helpful. It is even helpful if you find a bug on bugs.gentoo.org and try to find a fix somewhere else and see if that helps the person with the bug. There are many ways to give back, and not all of them require the ability to code, just the willingness to learn and ability to find things out for yourself when necessary.

If you want to learn more about ebuilds, check out the devmanual.
mrcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halcy0n wrote:

Is there a downloadable version of the devmanual? I could swear that I saw something like that on packages.gentoo.org a few weeks ago, but now I can't find anything.
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcs wrote:
Halcy0n wrote:

Is there a downloadable version of the devmanual? I could swear that I saw something like that on packages.gentoo.org a few weeks ago, but now I can't find anything.

No, but you can check out a copy and build it so you can view it locally if you want.

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/appendices/contributing/index.html
mrcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: