Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Helping out in bugtesting?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Helping out in bugtesting? Reply with quote

Hey there, I just had a quick couple of questions for you.

I want to get involved, and give back, so I have looked towards the Bugzilla. Now, what sort of things can I do to help? Posting detailed explanations of my bugs, that's a given. But as for testing other peoples bugs and seeing if they are reproduced, or things like that?

Just want to give back and get involved. =)
_________________
-Mitch

Desktop --> AMD Athlon XP 2600+@2GHZ, 1024mb DDR, BFG GeForce 6600GT OC, Gentoo (Emission guide)
Server --> AMD Duron 1300, 384mb, Gentoo Hardened
Laptop --> Intel Pentium II@399MHZ, 64mb, Gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Dec 2005
Posts: 721
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060626-newsletter.xml
Quote:
Gentoo x86 arch testers and developers wanted

The x86 architecture team is looking for more ambitious members of the community who would like to help out by joining the team as Arch Testers. If you would like to give back to Gentoo, but don't know how, then this may be a good way for you to start. You would be helping by testing applications to be marked stable and assisting in general x86-specific bugs. Please take a look at the x86 AT documentation, and if you have questions about anything, please either email Homer Parker or Joshua Jackson. They are also looking for more developers to join the team and help out in resolving bug reports, keywording requests, and security bugs. Interested developers need only have a stable system or chroot, and be willing to work on bugs assigned to the x86 team. Please send an email to the x86 team alias, if you are interested in helping out.
Go to the actual URL for the links.
_________________
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB 7200rpm Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
Taken from http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060626-newsletter.xml
Quote:
Gentoo x86 arch testers and developers wanted

The x86 architecture team is looking for more ambitious members of the community who would like to help out by joining the team as Arch Testers. If you would like to give back to Gentoo, but don't know how, then this may be a good way for you to start. You would be helping by testing applications to be marked stable and assisting in general x86-specific bugs. Please take a look at the x86 AT documentation, and if you have questions about anything, please either email Homer Parker or Joshua Jackson. They are also looking for more developers to join the team and help out in resolving bug reports, keywording requests, and security bugs. Interested developers need only have a stable system or chroot, and be willing to work on bugs assigned to the x86 team. Please send an email to the x86 team alias, if you are interested in helping out.
Go to the actual URL for the links.


I've seen that yes, but I'm not skilled in ebuilds just yet, and have no programming skills. I'd fail that test they give you, for sure. At least, at this present time I would.
_________________
-Mitch

Desktop --> AMD Athlon XP 2600+@2GHZ, 1024mb DDR, BFG GeForce 6600GT OC, Gentoo (Emission guide)
Server --> AMD Duron 1300, 384mb, Gentoo Hardened
Laptop --> Intel Pentium II@399MHZ, 64mb, Gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Dec 2005
Posts: 721
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, basically just report any bugs you find, keep an eye out for calls for beta testers, and I highly recommend getting some programming experience. Learn C or C++, it'll help out a lot with bug fixing.
_________________
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB 7200rpm Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
In that case, basically just report any bugs you find, keep an eye out for calls for beta testers, and I highly recommend getting some programming experience. Learn C or C++, it'll help out a lot with bug fixing.


Can you suggest any resources that would help with that?
_________________
-Mitch

Desktop --> AMD Athlon XP 2600+@2GHZ, 1024mb DDR, BFG GeForce 6600GT OC, Gentoo (Emission guide)
Server --> AMD Duron 1300, 384mb, Gentoo Hardened
Laptop --> Intel Pentium II@399MHZ, 64mb, Gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Dec 2005
Posts: 721
Location: Edinburgh, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cplusplus.com has a good tutorial that'll teach you the basics, and a nice reference section for the libraries.
http://www.cprogramming.com is also quite good.
I learnt some things from a book called "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" published by SAMs, although it more focused on memory management and efficient programming. I wouldn't get it unless you get really into it, go with the free stuff first ;) There are also other pretty good books out there, just go down to a big library and work your way though their Computing section, it's fun! :D
_________________
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB 7200rpm Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
protex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
http://www.cplusplus.com has a good tutorial that'll teach you the basics, and a nice reference section for the libraries.
http://www.cprogramming.com is also quite good.
I learnt some things from a book called "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" published by SAMs, although it more focused on memory management and efficient programming. I wouldn't get it unless you get really into it, go with the free stuff first ;) There are also other pretty good books out there, just go down to a big library and work your way though their Computing section, it's fun! :D


Thanks a lot! I'll give these a look, =).
_________________
-Mitch

Desktop --> AMD Athlon XP 2600+@2GHZ, 1024mb DDR, BFG GeForce 6600GT OC, Gentoo (Emission guide)
Server --> AMD Duron 1300, 384mb, Gentoo Hardened
Laptop --> Intel Pentium II@399MHZ, 64mb, Gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer


Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1682
Location: Freehold, NJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off as an AT you do not really need to know much about ebuilds. Knowing how to change keywords, and very simple stuff is needed, but not much beyond that. It is a definite bonus, but nothing that is really required unless you want to take the quiz and become an official AT. Looking at bugs and testing to see if you can find any bugs is always helpful. It is even helpful if you find a bug on bugs.gentoo.org and try to find a fix somewhere else and see if that helps the person with the bug. There are many ways to give back, and not all of them require the ability to code, just the willingness to learn and ability to find things out for yourself when necessary.

If you want to learn more about ebuilds, check out the devmanual.
_________________
Mark Loeser
http://www.halcy0n.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 10 Oct 2003
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halcy0n wrote:
If you want to learn more about ebuilds, check out the devmanual.

Is there a downloadable version of the devmanual? I could swear that I saw something like that on packages.gentoo.org a few weeks ago, but now I can't find anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer


Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1682
Location: Freehold, NJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcs wrote:
Halcy0n wrote:
If you want to learn more about ebuilds, check out the devmanual.

Is there a downloadable version of the devmanual? I could swear that I saw something like that on packages.gentoo.org a few weeks ago, but now I can't find anything.

No, but you can check out a copy and build it so you can view it locally if you want.

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/appendices/contributing/index.html
_________________
Mark Loeser
http://www.halcy0n.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 10 Oct 2003
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum