Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What exactly happened to stage 1? And bootstrapping?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do a stage1 install, as I did a couple of stage3 installations in the past, and they always managed to fuck up somehow, either with various applications quitting with segfaults or the system having serious boot errors. Then I decided to do a stage 1 installation, and had no problems at all. Next to that, if you use non-standard CFLAGS to optimize your system, a stage1 compilation definately helps, and increases the speed of your system.
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:

taking this a couple of steps farther, after every time that you rebuild a major toolkit package such as the kernel headers, glibc, gcc, binutils, or kernel, you NEED to do this:

Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
emerge -e world

The first command rebuilds your toolkit and assures that its components are in proper order.
The second command assures that your toolkit has been compiled a toolkit that is both clean and current.
The third command recompiles all of your packages with the clean and current toolkit.
The fourth command assures that all of your packages are compiled against packages that were compiled with a clean and current toolkit.

This may seem like alot of work, but every step is absolutely necessary if you want to assure that your system is properly constructed and the world packages are completely purged of statically retained libraries. If anyone thinks that this is a waste of time, or thinks that Gentoo needs to be slammed for requiring unnecessary strain on their systems, then they just fail to understand how a compiler and toolkit have to be built, and they have absolutely no business using a source code based distribution. If that's the case, then they should either spend some time with the Linux From Scratch documentation or they should just throw in the towel and go back to a binary based distro. Either way, education in the answer.

At any rate, its not fair to slam Gentoo or the devs if the problem is based on user ignorance.

Interesting...

I did my first gentoo install as a stage1 install off of a Gentoo 1.4b disc I downloaded and had it running completely stable in the ~x86 tree for several years going through multiple versions of kernels, gcc, binutils, etc. etc. without ever recompiling all the packages on my system....

I can only imagine how long it might take to do -e world TWICE on a fully built system with xorg/mozilla/gnome/whatever on top of that....

And then all the config files....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: