Links2 Download / Viewing Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidfowler2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Links2 Download / Viewing Problem Reply with quote

First of all let me say that this is the first time I have ever went anywhere near a SPARC system to install so please bare with me.

I recently got myself a Sun Ultra 5 workstation and i've decided to put gentoo on it since Solaris is so bad. Everything seems to work fine but when i go to start downloading the packages from the internet using links2, this is where the problems start. Whenever i type

Quote:
links2 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml

all i get is "Request Sent" in the bottom left of the links2 screen and an eventual timeout. Firstly i thought i may have typed it wrong so i went to File -> Go To Url and typed in "www.gentoo.org". Nope...still getting request sent.

Next thing i tried was to access the browser config pages for my linksys router. I went back to "Go To Url" and typed 192.168.1.1 and it went in no bother.

Next, I done a WHOIS on www.gentoo.org to get the IP address and tried that. Nothing - "Request Sent" and a timeout.

Then i tried a familiar website so i told it to go to "www.bbc.co.uk" and it went first time straight to the page. So i tried another - "www.blueyonder.co.uk". Again it went fine. So i tried something else - "www.yahoo.com". Nothing on yahoo.

I also went on to ping -c 3 each of the websites - every one of them responds which leads me to believe there is something wrong with minimal cd / links2

I also tried another network card to no avail and i tried directly wiring into my broadband modem, also to no avail.

Any help is appreciated
-David

<<Edit>>

I can download the stage .tar files if i sit with my laptop next to me, browse to the ftp sites and manually type the ftp url into links2 - it seems to be fine with ftp addresses
IronWolve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Proxy Reply with quote

Could it be a proxy? I'm still messing around with my Ultra 10, trying to put Gentoo on it from a netinstall cd.
davidfowler2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah i dont use proxies. like i sam i put it straight into my cable modem (that uses dhcp) with no joy. I recommend getting the universal cd so that you dont have to access the net during the install. Well you need net access to emerge stuff but you don't need to browse. Because lynx seems to work when u eventually get to the stage where youy can emerge it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: