View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really. the guide specifically states that it only supports 686, and that's what is used in the example. it provides a warning for people who attempt to deviate from the guide and install on a 586 box, and advises them that if they're going to do that, they'd better get the combination of tarball, chost, and march setting right. no inconsistency.
greyhats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OY,

A litle story here.

After building my laptop from scrach with 2005.1 & gcc 3.4.4, I decided to upgrade gcc to 3.4.5 following only the part of the installation of the gcc 3.4.5 from the guide 2005.1 & gcc 3.4.5.

Meaning something like this
Quote:
#emerge glibc binutils libstdc++-v3 gcc portage && emerge -e system && emerge -e system

Right after I've decided to go ahead with other program installation, not related with this tread, and got the following error at the first installation

Quote:
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool

I had to re-emerge XML-Parser to fix that.

It might not be related with the guide, but wanted to let you know.

--
sylware
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: dev-perl Reply with quote

I got the same issue.
Emerge again all packages from dev-perl you got installed.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: This is not the suport thread. Maybe you overlooked the repeated boldfaced red advisories about that.

Second: Support is only available to people who are following the Guide without modifying it. If you are not following the Guide exactly as it is written for its intended purpose, then you are deviating from the Guide and support is not available.

This Guide covers new installs -- it does not cover GCC Migration. If you want to do that, then you should read the GCC Migration Guide, as it performs additional steps that you have been skipping. If you attempt to adapt this Guide to do something other than what it is intended to do, then you should expect that problems may crop-up as a direct result of your having done things improperly. In cases like that you are responsible for the errors that you generate, and you are responsible for finding your own solutions. Please don't come here looking for support.

Third: Problems that you encounter with ebuilds and/or portage dependencies are bugs with the ebuild. You might want to look at bugzilla. They are totally unrelated to the Guide.

Please understand that if you are deviating from the Guide and you run into a problem, your escapades are totally unsupported. Please try not to take this thread off-topic with totally irrelevant information by discussing your problems here -- doing that only confuses the new users who are attempting to follow the Guide. New users often don't have the sophistication to recognize irrelevant information that is injected by people who are not following the Guide, and the irrelvant material often confuses them. This makes understanding the Guide that much harder for everyone else, and supporting it that much harder for me.

Thanks.
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to search for this thread after some baselayout changes, wanted to check hdparm settings. Man this thread really should get stickied.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTFman wrote:
Had to search for this thread after some baselayout changes, wanted to check hdparm settings. Man this thread really should get stickied.

good idea, :idea: but you're not the first person to say that. :?

i can't make the Guide sticky here, but if you'd like to go to a place where the most current version of this Installation Guide *IS* sticky, then >> look here <<.
Originlabs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason users need to register and log in before viewing the support or installation threads at the jackass forums? A nice feature about the gentoo phpbb forums is they are open to the general public, including the google bot (as the search feature of phpbb needs work).
thecrazyperson_ws
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Hey bob,

On the front page of this thread you say that CHOST for i586 are not supported yet your new pdf has a section telling the user about changing the CHOST value for i586 boxes. That's section 6.5

And then in section 7.2.1 it gives a make.conf example of building for a pentium-pro which is a 586.

Here is where I must prove you wrong. The last intel chip to be a 586 was the pentium-mmx. The PPro was a 686, albeit without MMX extensions. This is a common mistake for people to make, as they assume the Pentium 2 was the first 686 chip to be released, but it was not. I used to own a PPro machine, and every test i could run on it, as well as plenty of research, showed it was a 686, but without MMX.

Oh, and Bob, I did a few mouse clicks for ya.

-TcP

Gagazet: Pentium 2-266, 288M ram, 240G HD, currently installing gentoo

Besaid: p-150, 80M ram, win2k pro
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originlabs wrote:
Is there a reason users need to register and log in before viewing the support or installation threads at the jackass forums? A nice feature about the gentoo phpbb forums is they are open to the general public, including the google bot (as the search feature of phpbb needs work).

out of respect and appreciation for the Gentoo forums having hosted these threads for so long, I don't want to continue to waste their bandwith on topics that are not related to Gentoo. if you have a question about the functionality of the brand-new board that has been put up at Jackass! Development Labs, you should ask it there, not here. out of respect for Gentoo, anyone's specific questions about off-site services may not go unnoticed if you post them here, but they will certainly be left unanswered.
Originlabs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please accept my apologies. My post was not intended as criticism of you, the jackass project or anyone else. I shall ask questions in the correct place in future.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no apology needed. :wink: just trying to minimize the impact of non-gentoo projects on the gentoo servers.
brfsa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It tooke me nearly one week to have my girlfriend's laptop done with gentoo installation.

with this guide, plus gnome, kde, openoffice, firefox and tons of apps for internet and multimedia...

and another day to get all the fn keys working on the sony vaio S260. ( i had to modify the code of sonypip )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: