Sun's original black-on-white console
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Sun's original black-on-white console Reply with quote

I'm running Gentoo (2.4.31-sparc-r2) on my Ultra 1, and everything is going fine, but I'm not satisfied with the console font and colours; the writing is too small for my taste. I'd like to have the original Sun black-on-white console. From the Linux Framebuffer Howto I gather the following:

Quote:
During make config, you need to choose whether to compile promcon and/or fbcon. You can select both, but if you do this, you will need to set the kernel flags to select the device. fbcon always takes precedence if not set. If promcon is not selected in, on boot up, it defaults to dummycon. If promcon is selected, it will use this device. Once the buses are booted, and fbcon is compiled in, the kernel probes for the above framebuffers and will use fbcon. If there is no framebuffer devices, it will default to promcon.

Uh... that's not very clear. My understanding is that I could recompile the kernel without framebuffer support, but isn't there a simpler way to force the kernel to use the PROM console? Can it be done by setting kernel options, and if so, which ones?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to enable support for the prom console and disable graphical console support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: