GTA3 with WineX -- dos & don'ts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: GTA3 with WineX -- dos & don'ts Reply with quote

Alright folks.. I thought I'd post this since I've been trying for literally weeks to get GTA3 to work again with Linux and have had no success at all. I got to the point where I was convinced Transgaming had broken it in CVS and that's why it had suddenly stopped working. But I received a copy of the CVS that was guarenteed to work and of course it didn't with my system.

So I knew I had to find a solution else where. First off, you'll notice on the Transgaming site that there's a GTA3 forum where people post their problems. However the other guy who had a problem similar to mine didn't really post his solution and just said it was a libGL* problem.

So after compiling & recompiling various versions of nvidia-kernel & nvidia-glx I gave up.

Next I tried downgrading X11 from Xfree 4.2.0-r12 to 4.2.0-r9, and that didn't do too much either.

Next I tried screwing around with opengl-update and even my XF86Config settings to see if I'd changed anything. But that did nothing too.

So I thought, hey, okay, maybe it's my kernel. So I mount /boot and add a few options to lilo.. select 2.4.19-r5 instead of 2.4.19-r7, recompile WineX, and BAM. WineX worked with GTA3 like a charm. I have no idea what is changed in the kernel that would do such a thing, but I'll leave this as a warning for people who might upgrade their kernels and recompile WineX under the new kernel code.

If you have gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r7 GTA3 will not work with WineX

Thanks to all the people who tried to help me in whichever way they could. If anyone here is running GTA3, in WineX, compiled with 2.4.19-r7, lemme know. Remember anything I post here is simply my opinion on the matter from what I tried and what my results were.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: GTA3 with WineX -- dos & don'ts Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:

If you have gentoo-sources 2.4.19-r7 GTA3 will not work with WineX

works fine for me, and I have 2.4.19-r7...
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap :)

Well I have no idea then, I assume it must be something I compiled into r7 awhile ago. Either way the kernel switch worked for me.

On that note, have you tried a recent CVS checkout with GTA3? I did and it didn't work..
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairly recent ones, haven't updated in a cupple of days though.

could try to install r7, copy over your config, make oldconfig and go straight on make dep and so on, see if compiling it with your flags + new flags at default will do the trick.
bidz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:
Crap :)

Well I have no idea then, I assume it must be something I compiled into r7 awhile ago. Either way the kernel switch worked for me.

On that note, have you tried a recent CVS checkout with GTA3? I did and it didn't work..

if you enabled some of the specific grsecurity patches, these can make wine/winex not work, since it cant allocate/access specific memory addresses that it needs to be able to access to work properly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: