How to block ads in KDE's Konqueror!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: How to block ads in KDE's Konqueror! Reply with quote

Starting with version 3.5, Konqueror has an option to block ads (well, anything) by using regular expressions. If you are like me, then you do not know much about regular expressions. This guide will show you how to quickly and easily block thousands of ads with very little effort. :)

[list=1][*]Download the latest Filterset.G regexp based set from the http://www.pierceive.com/filtersetg/ (the latest will have a name of YYYY-MM-DD-MERGED.txt).
[*]Go to "Settings" --> "Configure Konqueror..."
[*]Look in the left side menu for "Adblock Filters". You may need to scroll down a little bit.
[*]Check both "Enable filters" and "Hide filtered images" options.
[*]Click the "Import" button and browse to where you downloaded the Fliterset.G file to import the list.
[*]You should have a bunch of cryptic data in the window now.

Bookmark that site so you can grab updated versions of the filter. :) It works great and enjoy being ad free.

Last edited by StifflerStealth on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corvinian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello StifflerStealth,

this is good to know, thanks for sharing this info. :)

I have another, alternative approach.

I do 'promiscuous browsing' (thanks Microsoft for creating this term ;-) ) with different browsers, Firefox, Konqueror, ...

Not to have to configure all rules in each browser, I simply use 'privoxy' as a local filtering proxy with added security, because it runs in a chroot-'jail' with non-priviledged user-account.

I update only a single config-file with new/changed rules and have full protection in each of my browsers, I only need to specify this local proxy in the browser.

Maybe this is also useful to you.

so long ...
Corvinian
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting approach, and is perfect for people that use multiple browsers. It's much how large corps do things, where all the computers go through a central router/proxy that filters things, although they do a lot more filtering. :P I use one browser, so I don't really need to worry much. :) This is a great alternative to this method that I posted. The method I posted uses regular expressions so that even new ads are blocked for the most part, which is a bonus. I don't need to update the filter a lot. Maybe once every 3 months and I never notice new ads. Does privoxy support regular expressions, like the file I link to?

Thanks for posting. :) Always good to hear from someone. ^^
Corvinian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, regular expressions are supported and you can also disallow redirections, it filters referrer if you want, can delete cookies on a per URL-basis and much, much more.

I use it also to interface to the TOR-network (OnionRouting).

I do not want my username/password to be sent via any external proxies/Tor-network,
so all homebanking and websites requiring user-accounts are passed directly without going via other proxies.

I see you do not require it now, but maybe you want to 'taste it' later, here are some links:

http://www.privoxy.org/
http://www.privoxy.org/faq/index.html

If you decide to test/use it (later) I can give you a link to the config, so you do not need to 'start over and roll your own'. :)
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds cool. :) I may want to test it later after I am done upgrading my machine. You can always post your config in a howto or something for a privoxy howto in this forum. Then other users would benefit from it as well. It's always good to have multiple choices. :D
Corvinian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right. currently I still have OpenSuse on my desktop with the privoxy setup, so there might be a slight variation between Suse and Gentoo-setup, but the HowTo is a good idea, I will do that! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: