emerge -e world error. please help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: emerge -e world error. please help! Reply with quote

ok so i finally got around to running emerge -e world yesterday after my install last week with improper cflag settings, and today i woke up to this error message:
"!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdeaddons-3.1 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 117, exitcode 2
!!! Died running emake, kde-src-compile: make."

ok so my first question is, why did this happen and how do I fix it? Could it be because I was running kde at the time this was compiling? my intuition tells me that it wouldnt have been able to recompile x and other stuff before it if that was the case. so then i assume there is a log somewhere i could look at, but dont know where, and dont know what to look for within the log. if someone could help me out here that would be great

secondly, once i get the kdeaddons thing fixed, is there a way i can pick up my emerge -e world where i left off, rather than starting over? i imagine i could go package by package manually, but is there a better way than that? thanks
sheepdog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more of the error. Write all output to a log with
Code:
emerge world 2>&1 | tee /tmp/my.log

There is a tool for restarting packages. You need to search the forum to find it.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i ended up doing emerge -e world --resume, and that started back up where i left off...but the same error occurred...im thinking it was because i had kde running while it was trying to compile parts of kde, cuz the errors were talking about being unable to write stuff to the directories, which makes sense since the existing files were probably in use by KDE as it ran. im in windows right now, but ill post the log when im back in gentoo later today. thanks for the help
mghumphrey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem. At first I thought there might be a problem with this machine (it's a new Dell server), but the problem has happened twice now. I was installing from scratch via 1.4 RC3.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any ideas about what might be causing it, or how to fix it? im away from the comp for a few days so i cant try the log myself. apparently if you are starting a new system then you dont have KDE running while you do it so there goes my theory...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: