View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: KDE resolution issues on Dell Optiplex GX 620 [solved] Reply with quote

I just got Gentoo up and running on my Optiplex GX 620 and just put KDE on but am having some issues with resolution. I've tried some different things to no avail and was hoping to get some suggestions on what might be the problem. I'm a total n00b so apologies for any grotesque user error.

FYI, my monitor is a Dell 1905FP. Horizontal r.r. is 81, vertical is 76. I think it oughta have a max resolution of 1280x1024 @ 60Hz.

Starting off, my xorg.conf: I was using xorgcfg to edit this. For my monitor, I have tried setting the horizonal and vertical refresh rates to exactly the numbers above and also putting them in the appropriate ranges offered as selection, to no avail. I have Generic VGA set for my card and have tried different display options to no avail. My current xorg.conf file is:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "Layout0"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "freetype"
   # Load "xtt"
   Load  "extmod"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "dri"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "xtrap"
   Load  "type1"
   Load  "speedo"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "keyboard"
   Option       "XkbModel" "dell101"
   Option       "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option       "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
   Option       "Emulate3Buttons"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   HorizSync    31.5 - 64.3
   VertRefresh  40.0 - 150.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "vga"
   ChipSet     "generic"
   Card        "vga generic"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth     4
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     8
      Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     4
      Modes    "1152x864"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Next I tried setting up a framebuffer using this post (sans bootsplash stuff). Once again, no dice. My current grub.conf file has

Code:
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31B

Whenever I use kdm to start up KDE, assuming the current xorg.conf I have works, it states that resolution was changed to 640x480 at 60Hz. And it looks pretty bad.

As always, thanks again. You are all super helpful. And, once again, sorry if this is something that should be glaringly obvious. I dug through the forums but nothing truly cleared up what was happening to me.[/url]

Last edited by Quincy Hoist on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
nanoczar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video card do you have? One thing I noticed right off was that your "DefaultDepth" is set at 4?! Try 24. Here is a link to mine...

xorg.conf

Hopefully it will help...

-nanoczar
optiactive
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with nanoczar. You should probably have your default depth set to 24 (meaning 24 bit color depth). Also, your second subsection should specify a depth of 24. I would try to minimize potential issues by removing some of the permutations in your file. So you might change your screen section to:
Code:
Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth    24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth    24
      Modes    "1280x1024"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

So, I removed one of the subsections and edited the other. Set the mode to something you're sure your video card can handle, like 800x600 or 1280x1024. [/code]
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions. As always, it is getting somewhere. I thought 4 was pretty small, but anything higher was causing startx or kdm to spit out errors and quit (due to the generic video card settings, perhaps?)

I set the depth to 24, but am having some troubles determining exactly what kind of video card I have. It is the default card that came when my computer was ordered from Dell, and their website lists as a DVI add in to an Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950.

I had been using xorgcfg since Xorg -configure wasn't finding my mouse. I decided to try using Xorg -configure and then adjusting my mouse myself and it set the card with the following:

Code:
Identifier    "Card0"
Driver   "vesa"
Vendor Name   "Intel Corp."
Board Name     "Unknown Board"
Bus ID             "PCI:0:2:0"

I went ahead and removed the excess screen options so that only one with a depth of 24 remains. I ran startx and feel that I am perhaps a bit closer to success: Instead of recieving an error message that the depth isn't supported, my monitor displays (it seems to be the actual monitor putting this up based on the text, though I could be wrong) "1: Analog Input. Cannot support this video mode" or something almost exactly like that. So, back to tweaking. Any ideas on this one? Thanks again for your help!
optiactive
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run

Code:
lspci

And paste the output here. That will show which video card you have installed on your system. If you don't have lspci, then

Code:
emerge pciutils

After running lspci, you should be able to determine which driver you need for the video adapter specified in the output.
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running lspci tells me that the card is an Intel 945 G Integrated Graphics Controller. I'll look for appropriate drivers. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks again!
optiactive
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link has specific information for configuring your kernel to support your specific hardware:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Intel_945G#Kernel_Config

If you already have the correct kernel built, then you probably just need to update xorg.conf. I found this snippet from another user with the same hardware:

Code:

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "915 GM"
  Driver       "i810"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Screen       0
  Option       "Rotate" "off"
  VendorName   "Intel"
EndSection

I suggest reading the man page for xorg.conf, in order to understand the settings and if you need to change them.
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... I am still having some troubles. Going through each of the proposed solutions:

(1) Compiling Intel i810 support in from the Device Drivers --> Graphics Devices --> menu and modifying my xorg.conf to contain
Code:
 Section "Device"
  BoardName    "915 GM"
  Driver       "i810"
  Identifier   "Card0"
  Screen       0
  Option       "Rotate" "off"
  VendorName   "Intel"
EndSection
I get the following error:
Code:

(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
no screens found

If I include a BusID line in the configuration pointing to 0:2:1, it gives the same error except replaces 0:2:1 with 0:2:0. If I put 0:2:0 in xorg.conf, the error reads 0:2:1.

(2) Using the link to the wiki article, I first tried using the minimal config
Code:

Device Drivers   --->
      < > /dev/agpgart ( AGP Support )
      [  ] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)

and assigning xorg.conf the vesa driver. startx then gives me the "1: Analog Input. Cannot support this video mode" error and kicks me back, where the X errors tell me
Code:

(WW) Vesa(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (Oxd0400000, Ox3b0000)
(WW) Vesa(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (Oxd0000000, Ox7b0000)

Two solid questions regarding the other attacks I have at the moment:

(1) The other method explained in the wiki involves emerging xorg-x11-6.8.99.15. I did the appropriate unmasking assignments, but when I attempt to emerge I get the following error:
Code:
 !!! Problem in x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.99.15 dependencies
!!! Specific key requires an operator (x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.99.15) (try adding an '=')" exceptions

I assume this is something pretty simple but I can't figure it out.

Also: In the "Graphics Support" portion of the wiki the kernel configuration menu has a VESA driver type (vesafb-tng) ---> submenu in the Device Drivers/Graphics Support menu. I do not have this menu. Is this my version of the kernel? I am using vanilla-sources 2.6.12.5 as gentoo-sources was not allowing me to use my ethernet card.

Once again thanks!
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quincy Hoist wrote:

Code:

Device Drivers   --->
      < > /dev/agpgart ( AGP Support )
      [  ] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)

and assigning xorg.conf the vesa driver. startx then gives me the "1: Analog Input. Cannot support this video mode" error and kicks me back, where the X errors tell me
Code:

(WW) Vesa(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (Oxd0400000, Ox3b0000)
(WW) Vesa(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (Oxd0000000, Ox7b0000)

I've got a 915 in my laptop, and I think you should definately have agpgart, intel_agp, DRM and the i915 drivers built for your kernel.
The 'write-combining range' thing is about MTRR settings - you can manipulate them through /proc/mtrr, but it shouldn't be a fatal error and isn't worth worrying about until the rest of it is working.

Quincy Hoist wrote:
(1) The other method explained in the wiki involves emerging xorg-x11-6.8.99.15. I did the appropriate unmasking assignments, but when I attempt to emerge I get the following error:
Code:
 !!! Problem in x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.99.15 dependencies
!!! Specific key requires an operator (x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.99.15) (try adding an '=')" exceptions

I assume this is something pretty simple but I can't figure it out.

Code:
emerge "=xorg-x11-6.8.99.15"

Don't worry, that's caught me out many a time too :-)

Quincy Hoist wrote:
Also: In the "Graphics Support" portion of the wiki the kernel configuration menu has a VESA driver type (vesafb-tng) ---> submenu in the Device Drivers/Graphics Support menu. I do not have this menu. Is this my version of the kernel? I am using vanilla-sources 2.6.12.5 as gentoo-sources was not allowing me to use my ethernet card.

vesafb-tng isn't in the vanilla kernel yet. You can get patches from http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock and patch it yourself, or try some patchsets with it included - or just use the older vesafb. It can be a bit awkward, but it should work okay. Either way it doesn't affect what's happening in X.
optiactive
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: I have to ask... Reply with quote

Are you sure you're using the right kernel, after recompiling. I know it seems stupid to ask, but you never know.
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back in town from a long weekend and have been continuing my attempt to get this working. Here is where I'm at now...

(1) I have xorg-x11-6.8.99.15-r4 on my system and patched for i9xx support with agp2.bin

(2) I have the kernel set with i915 support, etc. I double checked and yes, I am using the correct kernel config on reboot. Except for one time when I named it incorrectly... heh. When I run modprobe i915, modprobe i810, or modprobe intel-agp they all seem to be present. However...

(3) startx still fails for each config I try. I get a new lil' error this time, and some old faves. Here is the breakdown...

My xorg.conf file device section:
Code:

Section "Device"
      BoardName  "915 GM"
      Driver          <I've tried 3... see below>
      Identifier      "Card0"
      Screen          0
      VendorName  "Intel Corp."
EndSection

I have tried using "i810", "i915", and "vesa" as driver options. Using "i810" or "i915" gives me the following error:
Code:

(EE) end of block range 0xe89f < begin 0xe8a0

and says that the driver cannot be found and that no such module exists.

Using "vesa" I get the end of block range error 3 times.

Is this error significant? Any ideas on why my drivers aren't being recognized?
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a bit more info that might help...

I just ran X -configure to see what happened and the xorg.conf file it generated recognized the video card and the i810 driver, so yay for that. But when I copied it over to /etc/X11/ and ran startx here is my new error bonanza:

Code:

(EE) end of block range0xe89f < begin 0xe8a0
(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI 0:2:1) found
(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpart (No such file or directory)
(EE) (1600x1200,Monitor0) mode clock 162MHz exceeds DDS maximum 140MHz

... so it seems like perhaps I am inching towards success. I'll keep poking around. Any more suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated.
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, more changes. I did a modprobe on agpgart and that ridded my errors of the (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpart (No such file or directory) line. I still get the (1600x1200,Monitor0) mode clock 162MHz exceeds DDS maximum 140MHz line (which actually doesn't have the (EE) in front of it, sorry) as well as the other errors/warnings that seem a bit more trivial and now I get
Code:

(EE) 1810(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI

as well. I assume I've gotta emerge DRI now... I'll pick around at that. Thanks for any suggestions...
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after a long afternoon of trial and error I am about to put this aside for the evening and am still looking for help. Progress report? Well, I already know how silly it was to write "emerge DRI". Didn't take much looking to figure that one out. Sooo.... where am I stuck and what are my questions?

I have DRI working... just needed to uncomment the "DRI" option line in my xorg.conf Device section. I can get the same batch of errors 2 ways, the first by commenting out load DRI, option "DRI" and the "DRI" section of the xorg.conf and the other with DRI loaded and option'd.

Either way, I still get the list of errors that includes 5 of the
Code:

errors, a
Code:

warning
and the
Code:

(1600x1200,Monitor0) mode clock 162MHz exceeds DDS maximum 140MHz

line.

When I run startx it takes quite a while of thinking before kicking me out, and for *just* a moment I get a peek of what looks like a decent resolution mouse cursor that I can move. For about half a second. Then it all goes to hell and, well, see above.

After looking through the forums it seemed like I might need to add a Mode or Modeline to my Monitor section. I ran
Code:

gtf 1280 1024 60"

which is what specs seem to indicate is my monitors optimal performance. I took the Modeline output and put the appropriate entries into the Monitor section and my Screen->Display SubSection. No dice, I get the exact same error.

Something I realized: this particular error seemed to start popping up after I ran X -configure last. When I did this run I noticed that not only did my xorg.conf file automatically detect everything about my 945G, but it also detected a bunch more about my monitor (make & model). I just don't understand where the 1600x1200 setting is coming from and why I can do nothing about it.

I realize it was a bit uncool of me to keep posting questions all afternoon that I figured out on my own fairly quickly. This post is a bit different, and finds me stuck not knowing what the heck the error *really* means or what other options I have to try and fix it aside from the aforementioned Mode sections that did nothing. In other words, please help :)

Okay, now off to a midterm. Yay for today and thanks in advance for any help...
Quincy Hoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, after banging my head against this for about 7 hours on Tuesday (not to mention the hours spent last week trying to figure it out)... I just kinda "did it" this morning. First, the option NoDDC in the Device section of xorg.conf got rid of the mode clock exceeds DDC max error. After that startx would still kick me back with the 4 block errors and the I810 Bus warning listed above. But running kdm put me right here, right now. I guess it is possible that it will freeze up when I try and exit my kde session or something, but I'm pretty happy right now with what I've got. Awesome... thanks for all the help and I'm sure I'll be posting more broken things fairly soon.
ArsDangor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I have almost the same problem, with the same graphics card. I get
Code:
The wiki instructions work all right. I can now startx. However, I can't get the /etc/init.d/xdm script to work.

I have set DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" on /etc/rc.conf . If I type, as root,
Code:
$ kdm
I get KDM working. If I try
Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm restart
I get the BusID problem. Any clues?

Thanks alot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: