Problem with 2.4.20 kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Problem with 2.4.20 kernel? Reply with quote

Ok, currently I have my Gentoo box set up as a gateway for a Windows 98 box. Everything works, can ping both machines from each other, internet sharing works through dhcp and I have filesharing set up as well. However, this only works on the 2.4.19 gentoo sources kernel. I am trying to upgrade the system to the 2.4.20 kernel and everything goes ok, but I end up with iptables errors at boot and nat forwarding (internet sharing) no longer works, even though I never changed any iptables rules. If I got back to the older kernel, then the errors go away. Here is my /etc/conf.d/net contents:

Code:

iface_eth1="192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0"
iface_eth0="dhcp"

# Net Sharing
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-level 4 --log-prefix "ATTACK"
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -j DROP

Did the iptables rules setup change for the newer kernel? Do I need to re-emerge iptables or something? Oh I should also mention that I used the exact same kernel config file when compiling the newer kernel as well, so all the needed modules etc. should be loaded properly.

To answer a few questions beforehand, no I didn't try any other kernels yet (vanilla, red-hat, etc), and I really have no reason to upgrade to the newer kernel other than to keep the system up to date.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps posting the errors could be interesting.

When you compiled the 2.4.20, did you forget to run "make modules" and "make modules_install"? Is your /etc/modules.conf (actually /etc/modules.d) current?
simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with 2.4.20 kernel? Reply with quote

HeadHolio wrote:
[...]
Do I need to re-emerge iptables or something
[...]

If you emerge the new kernel, there is a small note, that you should re-emerge iptables if you get errors like "illegal argument" (?). So, try re-emerging iptables.

Simon
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

I was going to post the errors but I forgot what they were exactly. I believe that the were "illegal argument", that sounds very farmiliar. I'll try re-emerging iptables and post results.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: