possible bugs in w3m and mutt revisted
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: possible bugs in w3m and mutt revisted Reply with quote

Quite awhile back, I made a post asking about possible bugs in mutt and w3m. Some researching and posting on gentoo-user has resolved both issues, so I'm posting this in case anyone ever does a search on it.

In w3m I would have the problem of an error message dealing with gpm as folows:
Code:

+ *** debug ***: [/var/tmp/portage/gpm-1.20.0-r1/work/grpm-1.20.0/src/ liblow.c(202)]:

Spider suggested that I post it as a bug against gpm--apparently others were having the same problem, and others were having the same problem with other applications, such as midnight commander and vim.

At present, they're working on it--for the moment, gpm 1.20 is masked. (Another temporary workaround if you're using w3m and already have 1.20 installed is to simply call w3m without a mouse
Code:

w3m -no-mouse

One can of course, also put that in their aliases, which is probably easier. In .bash_profile
Code:

alias w3m="w3m -no-mouse"

A followup on this one---the older bug reports on it seem to have disappeared, however, there is a new bug open, viewable at
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5323

The second problem that I was having was segfaulting in mutt. Again, posting on gentoo-user gave me the answer, or answers in this case. A few other people were also having the problem.

It turns out that in part, this is due to the setup of procmail's rc.lists file. While the procmail quickstart guide gives a syntax of
Code:

:0:
* ^TO_gentoo-user
IN-L-gentoo-user

this is to create lockfiles--with Gentoo's maildir format (as opposed to Mail, which is more common at present) this is unnecessary and can possibly cause the segfaults. The workaround is to change it to
Code:

:0
* ^TO_gentoo-user
IN-L-gentoo-user

In other words, one eliminates the second colon, the one that follows the zero.

The second problem with segfaulting sometimes occurs if one is emerging while using mutt. Although this one is unverified, since putting it into practice, I haven't had it occur. First, in your home directory, create a tmp directory
Code:

cd
mkdir tmp

Then, in your .muttrc file, add the line
Code:

set tmpdir="~/tmp"

Again, that one is unverified.

A followup on this--although I've had it succeed once or twice, it almost never works.
It's a known bug which can be viewed at
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=501

Another quick follow-up on the above bug--it will apparently be fixed with gcc 3.x and
glibc-2.2.5-r7 This can be viewed at the above url.

On a sacrificial box, running 1.4 beta, I unmasked and emerge glibc-2.2.5-r7 and this seems to be correct. I then got bold and did the upgrade on my main workstation--upgrading gcc and glibc do seem to solve the problem.

Anyway, thought I'd post these solutions.

Last edited by scottro on Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:01 am; edited 4 times in total
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Bugs to Documentation, Tips & Tricks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: