Best C++ Book For BEGINNERS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exigentsky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Best C++ Book For BEGINNERS? Reply with quote

Since I switched to Linux I have become very interested in programming. I am hoping to learn C++ and learn it well, next I wish to learn Java just as well.

I have selected Kdevelop as my IDE of choice and Qt as the first toolkit I will learn due to it's simplicity, efficency, and excellent organization. Next I plan on learning GTK.

The hardest choice, perhaps even harder than choosing my first computer programming language is choosing the book I will use to introduce me to the basics of programming and C++.

So far I have narrowed down my 1405 choices of C++ books to the following:

C++ from the Ground Up, Third Edition
by Herb Schildt
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072228970/qid=1046593761/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

Absolute C++
by Walter J. Savitch
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201709279/qid=1046584120/sr=1-70/ref=sr_1_70/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

Starting Out with C++ (3rd Edition)
by Tony Gaddis
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1576760634/qid=1046584027/sr=1-16/ref=sr_1_16/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition)
by Bjarne Stroustrup
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201700735/qid=1046584000/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

C++ How to Program (4th Edition)
by Harvey M. Deitel, Paul J. Deitel
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130384747/qid=1046584000/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

C++: A Dialog: Programming with the C++ Standard Library
by Steve Heller, Chrysalis Software Corp.
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130094021/qid=1046581799/sr=1-70/ref=sr_1_70/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

Learn to Program with C++
by John Smiley, Bruce Neiger
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072225351/qid=1046581516/sr=1-53/ref=sr_1_53/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example
by Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020170353X/qid=1046592811/sr=1-36/ref=sr_1_36/103-0057208-9382250?v=glance&s=books

Please help me choose the book to begin with from the following or if you think there is a better book please suggest it.

THANKS A BUNCH!!! :D
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd go with Accelerated C++, it looks like the book I wish I started with. Mind you I've only browsed through it, but it does get good reviews. In general, the C++ In-Depth series is recommended reading.
Perhaps you would want to go with GTKmm though, a C++ wrapper for GTK+.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html.

Very good, freely available (but also in bookstores). At our university it is used as syllabus for the courses of "Programming II".
Firebirth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared that you should learn that part of C++ that is called C. - C is the programming language that lays the basics of C++ - most linux programs (that I have looked upon) are written in C.

A good introductioner on C++ and what programming is all about is Deitel & Deitel: C++ how to program. I see you already have it in your list!

that book is used for learning 1st year students of mathematics to program on my university. - It is very much down to earth and just tells you how to program, - it doesn't go all computer scientific!

-- F. Nietzsche "Thus spoke Zarathustra"
Tiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the vote for Thinking in C++.
It teaches the language from the ground up. There's one entire chapter devoted to the foundation of C++, C. The author very quickly gets you thinking in OOP mode rather than procedural mode.
Exigentsky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Just downloaded both the PDF and HTML Framed version of the book. I 've only read around 30 pages, but the authorhimself sas he expects me to already have some programming experience witha structured language.

That's why I think I'll try another book first, and than come back to TINCPPPV1E2.
Lactic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pick up the Deitel & Deitel book first. It'll give you more of a non-programmer's perspective on programming. From there, I would look for a book that does something like POSIX socket programming, or at least more in depth as far as system calls and memory management. Sometimes the easiest way to get this is to look for an Operating Systems text taught using C(|++). Not only will this show you how Linux (and any other OS) works a bit better (which will make you a better programmer) but it'll teach you some of the system calls you'll need that might otherwise be left by the wayside. This is generally about how an introductory course progression in Computer Science would go, also. (Usually more classes though, things like Discrete Math, Algorithms, etc.) Anywho...
Exigentsky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

I have just read 51 pages of Deitel's C++ 3rd Edition and I have to say this is a great book so far. It explains every single line of code, provides logicall suggestions, has excercises, is colorful =) it just plain rocks!

I tink I will read Chapters 1-5 than move to the TINC++ book if Deitel becomes confusing.
bradcarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how has the book hunt gone? I am in the market for a C++ book at the moment. Does the Deitel and Deitel book do good coverage of OO concepts?

I have the C basics down fairly good, and I am looking to move on to OO C++ (my aim is to be able to do a bit of programming with Qt evemtualy (I tried and while I could do a little, I was creating messy code do to missing fundamentals)
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradcarter: I'd recommend you have a look at Accelerated C++, especially since you already know C.
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think Accelerated C++ is fantastic. I read it and it all made sense to me. The only problem is that you have to have a clue about programming. :D
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the deitel and deitel book for our C++ classes, and I have to say I didn't learn C++ untill I got Sams Teach yourself C++ for Linux on 21 days. Which is the book I would recommend for the newbie - several of my friends use the regular version (none linux) instead of the Dietel and deitel book, and we all like this one better for entry level C++ (it does fairly ok as a reference for more advanced C++ also - and it introduces QT and GTK in the linux version as well as threaded programing with Linux.)
bradcarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there is a good explanation of code that Accelerated C++ sounds pretty good I like the idea of learning by example. My method of learning ussually is to pick a project and then try and complete it using examples as referance that I can pick out. It is also in my price range :)

I read the reiviews at amazon about Sams Teach yourself C++ for Linux on 21 days and it seems like a good bet too. Especially since one of the reviews mentioned it was good for OO concepts. I may have been wrong disregared the teach yourself in XX hours/days books.

Now which one lol. My wife just started at a large book store where she gets 30% off books so both of them are very resonably priced.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: