Vanilla kernel 2.4.20, i2c and lm_sensors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fudge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Vanilla kernel 2.4.20, i2c and lm_sensors Reply with quote

I know that this topic has been doing the rounds but to me the issue has yet to be resolved. One of the strengths of portage is the ability to run emerge and have it all work. This has been true of lm_sensors in the past.

However, as of lm_sensors 2.7.0, which requires i2c 2.7.0, things just don't work. I have i2c configured as modules in my kernel 2.4.20, which is as should be according to the description after i2c has been emerged. Nothing has changed there.

But when trying to emerge lm_sensors, the following error spew forth.
Code:

kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:25:2: #error Your i2c is too old - i2c-2.7.0 or greater required!
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c: In function `amd8111_access':
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:238: `I2C_CLIENT_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:238: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:238: for each function it appears in.)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:298: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_PROC_CALL' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:309: `I2C_SMBUS_WORD_DATA_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:310: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_DATA_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:311: `I2C_SMBUS_PROC_CALL_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:312: `I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_PROC_CALL_PEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c: In function `amd8111_func':
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:385: `I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_BLOCK_PROC_CALL' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:386: `I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_HWPEC_CALC' undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c: In function `amd8111_probe':
kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.c:426: `I2C_HW_SMBUS_AMD8111' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [kernel/busses/i2c-amd8111.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/lm_sensors-2.7.0 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 30, Exitcode 2
!!! lm_sensors requires the source of a compatible kernel\nversion installed in /usr/src/linux and >=i2c-2.7.0 support built as a modules this support is included in gentoo-sources as of 2.4.20-r1

This is not good form. I am not willing to hand patch the kernel as this does not follow my and the Gentoo way of managing software on the system. Needless to say, doing that sort of stuff will doubtless lead to stuff being lost.

Any clues, nods of agreement, comments welcome.

Fudge
slyzer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Code:

... gentoo-sources as of 2.4.20-r1

Just try gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1 and it should work.

cu
slyzer
fudge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a solution to the problem, that's just curing the symptom. There's no reason that lm_sensors shouldn't work with vanilla sources on Gentoo. I don't see why I should use the gentoo kernel when I've highlighted a problem that can and probably will face many Gentoo users like myself. Figuring out what is going on would be very useful.

Fudge
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudge wrote:
That's not a solution to the problem, that's just curing the symptom. There's no reason that lm_sensors shouldn't work with vanilla sources on Gentoo.

Please read the homepage/docs of lm_sensors and you will see it explicitly stated that the i2c modules in 2.4.20 are not "new" enough. Yoo either need to patch your kernel by hand, or use gentoo-sources as of 2.4.20-r1.

The fact of the Gentoo way: you compile your own kernel. And when I installed lm_sensors, gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r1 came along as a dependency.
You'll still have to (re) compile your kernel manually.
meth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-sources-r1 didnt fix this for me anyhow :/
Dalrain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's certainly nothing stopping you from hand patching your kernel, just when you unmerge it you'll need to clean up that old src dir sometime. Everything fits fine with the "gentoo way" as is, just patch it yourself if you're willing. I think if we're going to talk about the "gentoo way", it probably involves some hacking. That said, good luck! :wink:

Either upgrade to the gentoo sources, or patch...but if you want to along with what the developers think for use of lm-sensors, gentoo-sources are the way to go until an upgrade.
arkaine23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: vanilla 2.4.20 with lm_sensors Reply with quote

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175576

That's how I got it working on the vanilla 2.4.20 kernel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: