Praise for Improved Gentoo Docs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Praise for Improved Gentoo Docs Reply with quote

Don't know if this is the right forum for this, but whoever is in charge can move it to the correct one...

I first started working with Gentoo over 2 years ago. Although it was a time consuming process learning Gentoo, then... I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread..... I still do....

During some of those initial configuration processes, I found the documentation a little difficult to use and made several suggestions toward improvement... The forums and the answers I got from the forums was the best source of documentation at that time...

After configuring my system... except for a few minor tweaks, I didn't have to refer to any of the documentation again because Gentoo just kept running and running and running. I tried Red Hat, Fedora and SuSe Linux versions, but for some reason, they just didn't have the solid feel that I got from Gentoo.

Anyway.... After a couple of years, I decided to completely rebuild my Linux system and set up multiple linux servers on a home network....

KUDOS to the documentation team!!!!! The documentation has improved 1000%

It is organized into a readable and a printable format (the printable format is easier to take into the "reading room" than my desktop is... It is segmented into easy to understand and easy to follow documentation. The web index to the documentation makes it easy to find EXACTLY what information I need....

Having been a technical writer before, I know how much work has been put into the organization, clarity and detail of the DOCS... and I know that the documentation team doesn't often get much praise.... But you have gone a long way toward making Gentoo the professional system it is..

Thank you.

Stephen McConnell
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat. You could send it to the gentoo-doc mailinglist to make sure the ones responsible for the updates read it :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: