View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiserfs or reiser4 are not valid options for me, too much cpu cycles eaten. Ext2 is fast, and uses much less memory and cpu, because it dont do journaling (i dont need journaling in portage, /var and /temp. I use xfs for / and all the thing goes so smooth.

Maybe the fs is getting a bit fragmented, I will to to tar, clean it and untar again to see if that makes any difference. Thanks for remembering me that. Im also going to check this thing: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-341900-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-25.html
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I don't like Reiser for that reason too, and Ext2 is fastest. I hope a future redesign of Portage will improve things like speed and storage. Defragmenting should be a hobby of M$ OS owners. ;-)
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged two "portage slow with high cpu usage" threads here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree on that. On scenaries where fs integrity and journaling is not imperative the smart option is ext2. In adiction I use ext3 when I need security, for example in /home (well tested and efficient fs). For things like the os, I preffer xfs, that has journal, but is relatively soft in my cpu (I also like jfs but I had some stability problems with it in the past). Some years ago I used to use reiserfs, but I discovered a big interactivity and responsiveness boost when I left it behind.

I also tested reiser4 some months ago, but I just could not stand with it, so much problems and very heavy on cpu for my personal taste. At least it is true that is faster when manipulating tons of small files, but nothing special at all. And in some other circunstances it is slower (objetively tested with bonie++ by myself).

I think that, for now, I will have to test if the defragmentation changes anything :wink:
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if fragmentation is the cause of high cpu%, people talk about. Maybe this is of any use with emerge --sync:

/etc/make.conf:
Code:
PORTAGE_NICENESS="15"

...and noatime options in fstab should speed things up.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a high portage niceness (and yes, I tried to lower it and even disable it, and the metadata processing is still so slow). I also use the noatime option to mount my partitions. With ext3, ext2 and xfs I dont have cpu problems, the cpu usage is low, even when doing massive io, the problem is the high amount of time that emerge requires to "emerge metadata". Tonight I will move my portage tree into another partition, then recreate the fs in the actual portage partition, and move the fs back once the partition in empty and remounted. I will tell you if that makes any difference or not, probably tomorrow the thing should be up and running again. :wink:
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Good luck! Please post if things be beter after this. :)

(Don't forget to tar /var/cache/edb, or just delete the contents, it will be recreated by a current version of portage anyway...)

Never delete /var/db/pkg.
brianahr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: yup, slower than ever Reply with quote

So I noticed there are a ton of threads on this topic. And they all seem to be a bunch of people with the same problem. On my machine, it takes about 7 minutes of 100% CPU to emerge --sync. And this thing is a 2.6Ghz machine, 512mb RAM, no binaries. It is pretty annoying though, I must admit. From what Ive read, it seems like using the database backend for portage only makes searching faster, not syncing. (Havent actually tried it yet, though) A lot of people seem to atttribute this to the fact that portage is huge, and all of that stuff is left directly on the filesystem, instead of in some database. Does anyone know for sure if using the database speeds up or slows down the sync? It kindof seems hypocritical to have blazing-fast-omg-optimized gentoo systems, if portage so omg-I-want-to-shoot-something-slow. (Im sure Ill get flamed for that one, haha) Regardless, I think theres got to be something we can do to fix it.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A database would be inherently faster, as it is much faster to read a big single file that to read a 130.000 smaller ones. There are some topics and a couple of projects. One of the using db and c++, and another using sqlite and c (not sure) but none of them seems to be so mature yet.

You are right in one thing: as portage grows this can only get worse, and worse. Two or three months ago portage was about 100k files, now it is near 130k or 140k files, and surely, before the year ends, portage will be (if the thing continues this way) about 170-190k files. That is a very insane number, just to manage the installation of packages. It is a huge number, and when the number of files grows so much the degradation in the performance is not lineal, instead it degradates faster and faster each time a file is added to portage. That and python will make portage unusable in some months for any other use appart of emerging thing.

By the time I installed Gentoo the first time, it would take me about 3-5 mins to make an emerge --searchdesc, no, I use it only very rarelly, and when I have no other option, because it can take even 20 mins, at least the first time (then it is faster).
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtaski wrote:
Thanks Neddy! That fixed my problem - guess I never really knew why I kept including that feature... now I know not to.

I spoke to soon Neddy - I went to sync today and the problem is back.... argghhh.... anyone got a resolution? I'm using reiserfs and this is my make.conf:

Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
USE="-qt -kde hal howl bzlib mmx ncurses pam readline zlib x86 avi crypt
divx4linux foomaticdb gif wmv asf gphoto2 gnome gtk2 gtk gd dvd cdr cups
truetype X nvidia msn imagemagick imlib jpeg mpeg png opengl pdflib pcmcia quicktime samba scanner sdl spell svga
tcpd tiff usb wmf xmms xvid"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4m -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage-overlay"
FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/wget -t 1 --passive-ftp \${URI} -P \${DISTDIR}"
RESUMECOMMAND="/usr/bin/wget -c -t 2 --passive-ftp \${URI} -P \${DISTDIR}"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="1"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=60
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="sandbox ccache userpriv usersandbox notitles"

And here's my /etc/fstab:

Code:
# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
#/dev/hda1      /mnt/windows   ntfs      noauto,noatime      1 2
/dev/hda3      /boot      ext2      defaults,noatime      0 1
/dev/hda4      /      reiserfs   defaults,noatime,notail,user_xattr   0 1
/dev/hda5      none      swap      sw         0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0   /mnt/cdrom   auto      users,noauto      0 0
#/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy   auto      noauto         0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none         /proc      proc      defaults      0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none         /dev/shm   tmpfs      defaults      0 0

/dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto    user,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With ReiserFS you should drop "notail" to get a performance increase on small files...

I think future Portage should provide a choice to download all, or just the ebuilds you actually use. When people want to read or browse all ebuilds available, it could be done online. Just like why I don't need to download all postings in this forum to find what I want to know.... But after all, it's a luxury problem. We are really spoiled with all the things we can install the easy and the best way (although time consuming), if you compare to other distro's. :-)
rk_cr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that I am also having problems of slow syncs.

However, this is on a clean machine (only a month old installation of Gentoo) with Reiser. All stable packages, only three binaries (and the buildpkg feature is turned off). Within two weeks of updating the cache slowed down quickly.

How could in two weeks of an installation the cache go from instant updates to slow as hell (around 50%)? Sounds more like a coding efficiency error than a bloated file system. If it was portage then I would've gotten slow performance from the get go, but that just wasn't the case.

Is anyone here an expert on what's going on behind updating portage cache?
JSharku
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
A database would be inherently faster, as it is much faster to read a big single file that to read a 130.000 smaller ones. There are some topics and a couple of projects. One of the using db and c++, and another using sqlite and c (not sure) but none of them seems to be so mature yet.

You are right in one thing: as portage grows this can only get worse, and worse. Two or three months ago portage was about 100k files, now it is near 130k or 140k files, and surely, before the year ends, portage will be (if the thing continues this way) about 170-190k files. That is a very insane number, just to manage the installation of packages. It is a huge number, and when the number of files grows so much the degradation in the performance is not lineal, instead it degradates faster and faster each time a file is added to portage. That and python will make portage unusable in some months for any other use appart of emerging thing.

By the time I installed Gentoo the first time, it would take me about 3-5 mins to make an emerge --searchdesc, no, I use it only very rarelly, and when I have no other option, because it can take even 20 mins, at least the first time (then it is faster).

I've played around with this and haven't noticed much improvement, this was on a P4 2.2GHz and on a PentiumPro 200 Mhz, unfortunately I don't have a medium-spec machine to test with (where I guess using a DBMS would prove most beneficial).

Sharku
*sigh*
--
Open Source for Windows!
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is evident that the implementation does also count in this. But, really, you can't think that a filesystem is the better way to handle this huge thing that portage is becoming into. I think -thou im not "the master of universe" and could easily be wrong- that the problem is not only one, but fatidic a combination of factors:

-First, the portage tools could be faster (preferably not in python)

-Second, the filesystem becomes more important while the tree keeps growing and its performance degradates in a non lineal manner that increases the perfomance degradation curve faster and faster each day that portage grows.

-Being also a filesystem that can be rsync'ed by an average of two-four times at a month (some people do it even many times every week) the fragmentation problem is not the same fragmentation problem that you can find in a more static filesystem. To agravate the problem there is the big number of files. Some fs's (like reiser[fs/4] provides a mechanism that is better to keep these huge amount of small files into a single cluster, which also make reads faster for these, but at a price (a very expensive price on cpu cycles for my likings, which is not acceptable at all).

rk_cr wrote:
Within two weeks of updating the cache slowed down quickly.
How could in two weeks of an installation the cache go from instant updates to slow as hell (around 50%)? Sounds more like a coding efficiency error than a bloated file system. If it was portage then I would've gotten slow performance from the get go, but that just wasn't the case.

As said above, I think that there is no single cause to blame. The reson why the fs degradates so quickly is explained above, and I think that im right in that. 130.000 small files, and many rsync everymonth is reason enough to get fs to the collapse. Overall, if you have a little 5-10 gb partion dedicated to portage, so it gets almost full and the fragmentation problems are even worse. But, as you say, this would not be an issue in a database.

These are only my opinions, I know that there are tons of topics around regarding the question, and there are also people working on this actively and experimenting, so they know about this thing much better than me for sure. It is evident that all of these are factors that have some incidence over the portage slowness, but, sincerelly, I dont think there is any objetive test still about the true importance of each one into the global results. Intuitively I would say that the factor with more repercussion is the fact that we are using a fs to store a thing that would be better implemented as a database, then the size of portage, and, as last the fact that we are using python, but, as said, these are just impression without any objetive testing to back them up.
ugus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
An "emerge sync" is since some days/weeks significantly slower than before. I see "Updating Portage cache: 50%" for 1-2 minute(s) or longer before it changes.
This is independent from the general question how the process can be speed up.

i have also exactly the same problem.
}
My Desktop
suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also noticed this, I am on reiserfs, so for those of you who were asking, it has the same problem (at least in my case)

This has been the case for me for well over a month...
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me this is a bug in portage - has anyone filed a bug?
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: "Updating portage cache" taking 7 minutes to compl Reply with quote

When I perform an 'emerge sync', the updating of the portage cache is taking 7 minutes to complete. This is an older gentoo system (>2 years). What can I do to reduce time it takes for this procedure?
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already multiple threads on this problem. This being the most talked about https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-384292-highlight-portage+cache.html

--sonik
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experiencing severe slowdowns that have worsened in recent months. I am now at a 10 minutes emerge sync with 7-8 minutes of that spent on "Updating Portage cache". I do not have buildpkgs set and dont have any binaries laying around. This machine contains a >2 year old intallation that is kept up to date on a weekly basis. Newer machines do not have this problem.

Whats sad is this is a p4 2.5Ghz machine with a 7200 rpm drive.

Any ideas on how to alleviate this issue? Like I said it only seem to get worse over time.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above three posts merged here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again people.

I did some research. Last night I put my personal box to defragment my /dev/hda7, which is the partition that I have dedicated only for my portage tree. As I said in any other post, it is about 10 gb in size, and holds also all my distfiles. 7.2 gb of that space is filled, that is... 72 % of the space in that partition.

I defragmented my portage by simply doing:
Code:

[ ~ ]-[0]: su
Password:
[ /home/i92guboj ]-[0]: cd /home
[ /home ]-[0]: mkdir portage
[ /home ]-[0]: cd portage/
[ /home/portage ]-[0]: mv /usr/portage/* . && mv * /usr/portage/

After that I took my two portage overlays also, and moved then into a couple of directories under the same partition. So, all the portage files are now like if it were my first Gentoo rsync. Then I did an rsync. When all the stuff was downloaded, the portage cache/metadata refreshing proccess came into scene.

My theory about the filesystem thing is demonstrated, at least, for me. The whole metadata retrieving proccess took less than 3 minuttes, while yesterday (and since some months) it lasted from 20 to even 25 or 30 minutes. The difference is so big... about ten times faster. So, yes, fragmentation is an issue, in fact, the main issue, at least in my case. So, there is no slow python, or slow portage... At least, the influence of these factors are, for me, far behing the filesystem issue.

Nothing can now take out of my head that a database would be a factible solution for this problems, since fragmentation is not an issue in a database. Most modern database system optimizes the storage of the info and keep themselves tidied enough to avoid this annoyances, if it weren't that way, the massive sql (or whatever) servers would be driven to collapse in a few months. Take into account that any big (and I mean BIG) database can be composed by many hundreds (or thousands) of gigabytes of information.

The problem is not if a database is noticeably faster than a filesystem or not. The problem is about performance degradation in the timeline. So, if you compare another options, like sportage, with a newly installed or defragmented portage tree, the differences in performance may not be so big, because there is no fragmentation. In fact, the portage can be faster than sportage, because the second one is not so well tested. But if you try again in a couple on months you will notice that massive operations with files (like the caching of portage) have degraded a lot in the filesystem version, while they should be virtually the same as two months before in a database. Note that I said "should" and not "is". I haven't tested that and I can't confirm that information.

I think that there is a lot of confussion (and I was also confused) about what the authentic point is. I thought that the portage speed was degradating with the number of files, and it seems not to be a correct theory. The degradation, instead, comes while the fragmentation grows. Said in another way: with the time.

That is the main issue that should be adressed. We can use a better filesystem, or tricks to decelerate the fragmentation (for example, take distfiles out of that partition), or we could use a cron script to defragment portage each night. These can be done easily, but they are all workarounds, and not definitive solutions to the problem. The nicest solution that I can think of would be a database loopback filesystem. Can you imagina a "sqlfs"? :P

That would be totally transparent and would require no change to portage and the portage tools. Of course, that would require the kernel to handle all the database transactions... Really dont know if it would worth the trouble, and I dont know if anyone has ever tried something like that in any other situation, but to have ideas is for free :) Isn't it?

For now, the simplest solution to keep the thing in order is:

1.- Use a partition to hold the portage files (without distfiles nor packages). I have to check the size of portage. But I think that it should fit in 0,5 gb. Preferably a ext2 filesystem, that is faster and has a little cpu usage due to its lack of journaling (that is not needed at all in the portage tree).

2.- Use another partition (or a dir under other partition) to hold distfiles. Then symlink the dir to /usr/portage/distfiles. This is done to avoid the fragmentation of very big files (that can get really fragmented) to interfere with the small portage files. So, all the small portage tree files are kept together (phisically speaking) in the hd.

3.- If the thing goes weird after a few months defragment the portage tree again. Or define a monthly cron script to do it.

POSTDATA: I tried the search by --searchdesc, it is also much faster now. The improvement is not as big as in the metadata retrieving, thoug... Still, it takes also much less time now. About 1/5 of the time that it took yesterday (it was about 25 mins. the first search, now about 5 mins.), so, it is more than simply a "noticeable difference". Of course, once the database is loaded the thing runs almost instantly for the next searchs).[/list]
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 6thpink, for testing. Until Portage changes, using this workaround is not a big deal. I think I will make a loop file of ext2, with a smaller block size, to keep my reduced Portage with rsync_excludes... :-)
morbid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new system is only DAYS old and is experiencing this issue (portage cache update hanging at 50% for a long time). I also saw this issue on all of my other systems, and it began around the same time (like 1-2 weeks ago). I was under the assumption it was the kernel I was using (2.6.13-archck?), but I doubt everyone else here is running that. I am also syncing against my own server, so I know it's not bandwidth, and the server is fine too.

And for those of you that blamed reiserfs or reiser4. When my partitions were ext2, sync would take about 3 mins. With reiser4, it took about 30 seconds (until this recent issue).

So... I don't think this is a filesystem (type or level of fragmentation) issue. I think it has to be something else... like portage or rsync. What versions is everyone running? I'm at:
sys-apps/portage-2.0.52-r1
net-misc/rsync-2.6.6
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is a filesystem issue either - I have reiser which as far as I know doesn't "fragment" - I got it to speed up by clearing out the packages dir, but then the next sync it took forever again...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: