Is Gentoo a drug?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastibasti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Is Gentoo a drug? Reply with quote

Since I started building a gentoo for my Via Epia I havent used any other Distri ever again...

I wanted to set a machine up using a Suse or Fedora, but after all there's a Gentoo on there again. Its like a drug. only if i use gentoo i feel fine :-))
JeliJami
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it gentoo, or is it portage/emerge ?
see the poll https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-563736.html
:wink:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo a drug? Reply with quote

bastibasti wrote:
Since I started building a gentoo for my Via Epia I havent used any other Distri ever again...

I wanted to set a machine up using a Suse or Fedora, but after all there's a Gentoo on there again. Its like a drug. only if i use gentoo i feel fine :-))

DEAR GOD MAN! Yer Gentoo is a drug but I drew the line at my Epia system. However I did underclock it to go fanless and really didn't want to be building gentoo on it
bastibasti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My epia was fanless out of the box, it was the one without the cmov bug.....Asthe system was verrrrry silent i didnt bother :-)
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is only a gateway drug to becoming a junkie FreeBSD user
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came from BSD to gentoo...
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Ken69267
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I could use another distro without screaming.

So it sorta is....

Gentoo crack :lol:
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my girlfriend uses ewwwbuntu, and I keep telling her when she wants me to fix stuff that I can't do it right until she lets me put Gentoo on it... It's kinda weird how once I started with Gentoo, I never felt any desire to even try out any other new distros - thus, Gentoo IS a drug
xyron1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm didn't heard tat gentoo is a drug
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Gentoo is not a drug. Just a good distro in some cases.
KoKi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think it the other way. better to use this drug then ...
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better Gentoo than..... World of Warcraft?
GivePeaceAChance
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is Gentoo a drug?"

Well let me tell you... my motherboard on my laptop died and I've been without it for about 4 days now, and I'm seriously suffering Linux/Gentoo withdrawals. You may have seen my threads around - that's cause I can't get enough of Gentoo and the only way is to learn about it. But I want to PLAY with it! :( I'm now relegated to using my parents Windows-based PC, in which, if any small thing happens, they blame me.

Like yesterday, the monitor went black while I was in a different room, and my mom came complaining to me, saying they only have problems when I'm around. When I came back, it was fine. I hate knowing stuff (albeit not perhaps as much as I think I know, as my dad often points out) about computers because I always get blamed.

Now, granted, my laptop (while on Windows I presume, since I was using BitComet for downloading torrents) was somehow causing us to get messages from our ISP saying that through our router, some computer was trying to access other computers, and they threatened to cut off the internet, but other than that (which I tried every possible thing to stop) I don't do much. Heck, if it wasn't for me, they wouldn't have nearly the support I give them, setting up their router security and everything else. ARG!

But the bottom line is my laptop's in repair, I'm running Windows, and I am suffering from Linux/Gentoo withdrawal symptoms. :P
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
"Is Gentoo a drug?"

Well let me tell you... my motherboard on my laptop died and I've been without it for about 4 days now, and I'm seriously suffering Linux/Gentoo withdrawals. You may have seen my threads around - that's cause I can't get enough of Gentoo and the only way is to learn about it. But I want to PLAY with it! :( I'm now relegated to using my parents Windows-based PC, in which, if any small thing happens, they blame me.

Like yesterday, the monitor went black while I was in a different room, and my mom came complaining to me, saying they only have problems when I'm around. When I came back, it was fine. I hate knowing stuff (albeit not perhaps as much as I think I know, as my dad often points out) about computers because I always get blamed.

Now, granted, my laptop (while on Windows I presume, since I was using BitComet for downloading torrents) was somehow causing us to get messages from our ISP saying that through our router, some computer was trying to access other computers, and they threatened to cut off the internet, but other than that (which I tried every possible thing to stop) I don't do much. Heck, if it wasn't for me, they wouldn't have nearly the support I give them, setting up their router security and everything else. ARG!

But the bottom line is my laptop's in repair, I'm running Windows, and I am suffering from Linux/Gentoo withdrawal symptoms. :P

um question... isnt that the purpose of the internet is so your computer "can" contact "other" computers...
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
GivePeaceAChance
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was doing something else that my ISP didn't approve of. No clue why. I virus scanned and spyware scanned, but found nothing. Perhaps it was BitComet or something.
failure05
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
It was doing something else that my ISP didn't approve of. No clue why. I virus scanned and spyware scanned, but found nothing. Perhaps it was BitComet or something.

Or perhaps your computer is rooted/trojaned/etc... and doing some scanning or illegal activity and they don't like it lol =)
GivePeaceAChance
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, but you'd think the virus scan would've picked up on it. Anyway, since the motherboard died and I reformatted it and sent it away to get fixed, the attacks have stopped, so whatever. 'Sides, I won't install Windows on it when I get it back so there shouldn't be any problems. :D
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo a drug? Reply with quote

bastibasti wrote:

Heh, got you beat there on the Epia. Running i686, 07.0 on my Via C3.

Slow and steady wins the race. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: