Gentoo Installer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e2.Bady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Installer Reply with quote

Hey Guys I programmed an Gentoo Linux installer that makes it possible to install gentoo by just editing 3 configs(grub/lilo, make.conf, fstab) I don't know I think it is helpful and I like using it because it makes the installer a lot quiker and easier... You still can do everything like you want it, you can configure your own kernel and use the flags you want. There is also an option to install some basic software like Xorg, GNOME, fluxbox, xmms ....etc.

Anyone interested?

Or is there even a chance that it could be on a Gentoo CD? From one of the mirrors?

later

Bady
asph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could post an url to the installer so that people can try it out and comment, maybe also write a little guide and post it to the documentation forum :)
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there are already a couple of scripts floating around, that help you out with all the typing and let you configure the configs you need. I never tried any though.

And to get something like this in the official release, you are a little late! :wink:
e2.Bady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I put the installer on my own ftp under

ftp://e2-servers.homelinux.org

you will have to make it executable by compiling it because I can´t compile it for every system..... =)I have a i64 and thats not gonna suit to much of you guys

then you put it on the install cd or on your home partit. or on a floppy or what the heck do I know

then start with the cd and start the installer

=)

hf & gl

Bady

Bugreports and comments to e2.Bady@gmail.com thx
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask why you wrote it in C++?

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Unsupported Software.
e2.Bady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it took me awail to find my post.... =)

I wrote it in C++ to get some more experience with c++ didn´t code it for a while and I just did 3 installs in a row and got annoyed by it because every once in a while I had to look into the howto so I could make sure that I didn`t forget anything......

no special reason just for the heck of it

later

bady
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e2.Bady wrote:
Ok it took me awail to find my post.... =)

Hm, thought I'd left a shadow topic. You can use egosearch to find your threads however, it's linked in the top right corner on most pages when you're logged in.

Quote:
I wrote it in C++ to get some more experience with c++ didn´t code it for a while and I just did 3 installs in a row and got annoyed by it because every once in a while I had to look into the howto so I could make sure that I didn`t forget anything......

Well, ok. For learning C++ I'd recommend using another project, calling system() dozens of times in a row is nothing C++ was designed for nor does it get you any further with it :P
e2.Bady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know that it was yust that I got frustated by the install and that I did not programm for a while because I did some phyton in the last couple of weeks ......

later

Bady
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: