SCSI Permission Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penulci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: SCSI Permission Problems Reply with quote

I use an external SCSI-Burner and a SCSI Scanner. Both are recognized if I do a cdrecord -scanbus. sane-find-scanner reports my scanner also as present.
I am just allowed to access these devices as root. I played around with the /etc/devfsd.conf in different ways. Butevery other user accept root, no matter if he is in the group, users, cdrw, scan or some or all of them is allowed to access. I found no satisfying solution searching the forums.

Greetings Penulci
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a problem with /etc/security/console.perms, check this file to verify if all is OK.
If you log first on your system as a root user, try to log first as a non-root user, that can maybe change permissions !
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SCSI Permission Problems Reply with quote

Penulci wrote:
I use an external SCSI-Burner and a SCSI Scanner. Both are recognized if I do a cdrecord -scanbus. sane-find-scanner reports my scanner also as present.
I am just allowed to access these devices as root. I played around with the /etc/devfsd.conf in different ways. Butevery other user accept root, no matter if he is in the group, users, cdrw, scan or some or all of them is allowed to access. I found no satisfying solution searching the forums.

Check the permissions on the devices (not the links pointing on them).
My external cdwriter for example is /dev/cdroms/cdrom1, which is just a symlink.
Code:
# l /dev/cdroms/cdrom1
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 Jan  1  1970 /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd

Your user has to have both, read and write permissions on the device. I do this through group cdrom.
Code:
l /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd

You can simply chmod the device or do this through devfs (which is little more complicated).
Penulci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. It was really a problem of the permissions. My scanner is working now. The funny thing is my writer does not even allow me access as root. I know it is present. cat/proc/scsi/scsi shows me:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
Vendor: PLEXTOR Model: CD-R PX-R412C Rev: 1.07
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

If I try to run e.g cdrecord -copy -d 0,4,0 as root I get cdrecord: No such file or directory. No read access for '0,4,0'. as output.

No matter if I set the permissions for /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/generic to 600, 660, 666 or even 777.

greetings Penulci
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penulci wrote:
No matter if I set the permissions for /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/generic to 600, 660, 666 or even 777.

Your cdwriter should be /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd.
If you don't have the device, i assume you don't have sr_mod (the scsi cdrom module) loaded or compiled into your kernel.
Penulci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed this could be the problem too. But the module is compiled into the kernel and lsmod shows sr_mod is present.
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd is also present. By default it has permissions 660 and belongs to owner root and group cdrom. root and may user are members of the group cdrom but nevertheless no matter how I change groups or permissions I must not acces my cdwriter neither as root nor as user.
Per default my /dev/sg1 shows to /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/generic

Greetings Penulci
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: